Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 23, 2005, 12:56 PM   #1

How does the 10D compare to the RebelXT?
trout21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2005, 1:39 PM   #2

Can't narrow yourquestion down any more than that, huh?

Throw out the megapixel difference. In the end 8 vs. 6 doesn't get you enough of a difference to be worthwhile.

10D is better built, with the ability to do certain functions, such as flash exposure compensation, by a dedicated button instead of having to dive into menu's like you have to on the Rebel XT. The 10D has a sync post built-in for working with Studio lights where you'd have to buy one for the Rebel XT and plug it into the hot shoe.

You cannot mount Canon EFS (Digital only) lenses on the 10D but you can on the Rebel XT.

The Rebel XT can be bought new with a guarantee, something you can't do with a 10D anymore. The Rebel XT has newer technology, is faster in startup and probably in card writing ability, too.

Being better built, the 10D is also substantially heavier than the XT- whether that is good or not for you is something only you can decide, but I'm here to tell you the Rebel XT is tiny compared to the 10D. It's even physically smaller than the original Digital Rebel- enough that you need to try it out to make sure you're comfortable with it. The 10D has a solid, semi pro feel compared to the Rebel XT and, in the right hands, still takes pictures today that are comperable to any model that would be fair to compare it to, including the current 20D.

In the end, I'm sure you have already seen all of this if you've even spent 5 minutes doing any due dilligence on these two cameras. At this point it's hard for any one person to tell you something that you haven't already seen or heard unless you've been living under a rock the past 9 months.

As good as the 10D is, and at one time I had one that I bought new,I'm still working arounda fear I have of buying second-hand digital equipment. I bought all my 35mm stuff second hand, but there's just so many other variables with digital stuff, especially these SLR's with their sensors and all the issues that come into play with buying second-hand. If I had to decide today between these two models, I'd be more inclined to buy a new Rebel XT with a guarantee and be done with it sincethe size of the XT is fine with me.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 10:15 AM   #3

trout21 wrote:
Quote:
How does the 10D compare to the RebelXT?
I had a 10D for just over a year and enjoyed it compared to the previous 300D that I had. The 10D allowed control over settings that the 300D did not allow. The 10D was getting on a bit and I wanted to move on. I seriously thought about the 20D because I was used to the ergonomics of the 10D and the 20D is the same. In the end, being a hobby, holidays, house and garden camera user, rather than a serious amateur photographer/poser ,I bought a 350D [Rebel XT] as the 20D had features I just did not need, and the 350D is supposed to have as good image quality. All I can say is what an improvement over the 10D, I absolutely love it. But then you might say I would, wouldn't I. It fits much nicer in my small hands, it is lighter, it starts up quicker, and the flash works properly, which I found the 10D really never did. Also rather oddly, I find my cheapo Sigma 18-125 lens which I had always regarded as just about ok but nothing special, is producing images straight out of the camera which just seem so much sharper. I know the 350D has more pixels, and I know that the in-camera sharpenning is more than the 10D, but I just like the results a whole lot better. And as for the ergonomics, I like the 350D, and I like the fact that after selecting some menu items you have to press the OK button. This was a criticism in one review, but I like it. I also like the fact that I am free to choose whatever lens I fancy including the "s" range which the 10D cannot use. All of this is not surprising. 12 months is a long time in digicam development, and the 10D must be about 3 years old by now. There would be something amiss if the 350D was not a better camera.

Sure, the 10D was a great camera and still is. You could even knock nails in with it, which you cannot do with the plastic-bodied 350D. But times have moved on. Buy the 350D.

I hope this helps.

ken from the uk

ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 1:22 AM   #4

You can always try this to your EF-S lens to make it fit on a 10D...

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...s/efs-10d.html

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:07 AM   #5

barthold wrote:
Quote:
You can always try this to your EF-S lens to make it fit on a 10D...

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...s/efs-10d.html

Barthold
I cannot imagine why anyone would want to modify the kit lens to fit on such a good body as the 10D, but at least as it is a low cost lens, there is little risk. Perhaps a more useful mod would be to make it so it would not fit on any body at all ;-). I have not seen any evidence that anyone has risked hacking at a $500 EF-S lens to make it fit a 10D. But I find the 350D such an improvement over the 10D I am very glad I changed bodies.
Old Jan 4, 2006, 2:55 PM   #6
Super Moderator

get the XT.. its faster, better image quality, etc.. the build quality is still high, much higher than the original rebel.. so i don't see that being a problem.. i have used one, and did not feel at allinhibited inany waycompared to my 20d..

-dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 4:38 PM   #7

The original digital rebel had some deal where the different AF modes were coupled to the metering modes, or something like that. I forgot what it was exactly but it was one reason that made me decide to get a 10D. Is that still the case with the Rebel XT?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 3:21 AM   #8

barthold wrote:
Quote:
The original digital rebel had some deal where the different AF modes were coupled to the metering modes, or something like that. I forgot what it was exactly but it was one reason that made me decide to get a 10D. Is that still the case with the Rebel XT?

Barthold
That is not the case with the RebelXT. The original Rebel not only chose the metering modes for the user [partial, evaluative etc] it also chose the focus method [single shot, servo etc]. For many people that was not acceptible, though I must say that when I moved from Rebel to 10D, which allowed the user to chose these modes, it made not one jot of difference to the images. The RebelXT allows the user to chose focus and metering modes. It is the camera that theoriginal Rebelshould have been. The 10D is a much better built camera than either the Rebel or the RebelXT. In my view, the original Rebel felt much better built than does the Rebel XT, the plastic panels of which feel flexible and make a plasticky noise when tapped. The XT is smaller and lighter than either the original Reel or the 10D. The XT produces much much better pictures than either did my Rebel or the 10D.

The choice between the 10D and the RebelXT, unless the low cost of a used 10D body is important, is in my view as they say, a "no brainer".
cheers
ken from the uk