Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:33 PM   #1

Seems to be a hard question to ask some people... I am new to the digital SLR world and was just wondering on people's opinion between the two? Any replays would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Mark
gieck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2005, 12:11 AM   #2

gieck wrote:
Quote:
Seems to be a hard question to ask some people... I am new to the digital SLR world and was just wondering on people's opinion between the two? Any replays would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Mark
20D no question. Faster FPS burst rate, deeper buffer, better RAW mode, better Autofocus, professionals use both, but the 20D has 8MP's, strong detail and the most important to me, the best noise ratios when in high iso speeds than the D70(s).

20D!

Theres a successor coming out in March though, I'd sit tight until then. I am.

-tlmiller10
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 3:13 AM   #3

Without a doubt, the 20D. You can read the reviews for yourself but I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone to say otherwise.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2005, 7:07 AM   #4

Nice. Thanks
gieck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 12:27 AM   #5

A straight comparison of the performance of the two cameras would send you to the 20D BUT no one came at this from a economic or system perspective.

First understand that I am a Canon20D owner/user. Used Canon's from 1974 to 1979 (college), swithched to Nikon (newspaper photojournalist) until 2003 when I switched to digital (Canon 10D). Now I have a 20D and it's wonderful.

If you were to compare the 20D with a Canon kit lens (18-55mm) and a D70s with its kit lens (18-70mm) the Nikon will out perform the Canon because of a superior lens both in its range and optical quality. Of course any particular shooting situation might tilt the balance to the Canon but for 99.9% of what most people shoot - I stand by that assestment.

Lets say you need or want a more sophoisticated lens set than the kit lens. If you buy a Canon 20D you get all those extra features timiller mentioned but you have $400 less to spend on lenses. That is significant to a lot of people.

My choice to switch to Canon was two-fold:

1. They were, and still are, way ahead in their digital camera offerings from the entry level Rebel XT to the only two full-frame digitals on the market(5D and 1Ds).

2. The other reason has begun to fade - lens choices. When Canon decided to redo its lens mount for its line of EOS auto focus cameras, and the digital line that was to follow, they left Nikon in the dust with faster autofocusing (USM) and image stabalization. But that advantage has faded and realy only applied to professional shooters (IMHO).

I think a better comparison for the D-70s would be the Rebel XT: Better kit lens for the Nikon (lens quality is a prime incentive for owning any camera) but you can save more than $100 on the Canon and buy into a more advanced "system" if you're considering future purchases.

Be assured either of these cameras will give you excellent results and will test your capablilities as a photographer - I feel safe in saying that either camera is a far more advanced piece of equipment than you are a photographer and either one will allow you to grow without hindering your learning curve.

One quick step back to your original choices - D70 vs. 20D. The 20 D will be a clear choice if
1. You shoot under low light conditions (gymnasiums, etc.) and can't, or don't want to, use flash (ISO goes to 3200).
2. Shoot a lot of sports (ISO still an advantage) and the Canon shoots 5 fps vs. 3 fps for the Nikon. The slightly better noise supression and 2 extra magapixels are a slight advantage (cropping).

But the Nikon will save you money and give you a better lens (if you buy the kit). If you're shooting parties, family get-togethers at your house and vacation pictures the Canon has no advantage that I can see.

Good Luck - Africa

Owner of a Canon 20D, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4, Tamron 28-75mm f2.8, Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 and a Canon 580EX flash. Also an even more extensive Nikon film system: 3 bodies, 8 lenses & 3 flashes, a Mamiya 645 system: 2 bodies, 3 backs, 4 lenses, and a Ikon 4x5 with 3 lenses. OH! I forgot: 3 enlargers w/ 3 lenses, 3 Photogenic PowerLights (600WS) studio flashes with blah, blah, blah...
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote