Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 26, 2005, 8:47 AM   #1

I am interested in this lens but I was under the impression that a canon 300d (what I have) needed an ef lens.

Does anyone have an opinion on this lens, I have a 100-300 usm but want some extra reach. I know this is a cheap lens but I just need to know if it will fit the camera

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....%3AIT&rd=1
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:57 AM   #2

Personally I think there is no cheap option to get you more reach (400mm). I would rather have better image quality than more reach. If on tight budget, then you should look into panasonic FZ series as that's the cheapest way to get to 420mm.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 8:02 AM   #3

I am already getting 480mm out of my 300mm lens due to the sensor, however a 400mm lens will get me to 640mm which would make a difference for some shots. I am wondering if getting a cheap lens will do for a while, I can always resell it later.
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:01 PM   #4
Super Moderator

alady,

Have you considered one of the Mirror lenses?

There are a number of 500mm mirror lenses available at very low prices, they are a fixed f8 aperture, but definitely the most cost effective way to get very long telephoto pictures.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:37 PM   #5

Yes Ive looked at them but wanted something that zooms. My choice would be to get the 100-400 usmIS canon lenswith second choice being the sigma 50-500 however money is really tight right now. I have gone ahead and got this vivitar just as something I can put on if Im out somewhere and my 300 is just not getting quite close enough. If the optics are really bad I will resell it on Ebay, they sell quite well on there with all the new dslr camera enthusiasts.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 5:58 AM   #6

I'm curious why you need such a long lens? I mean your budget is so tight you don't sound like a wild life or bird photog.

I must say I don't think much of the quality of the once venerable Vivitar lenses. The big Sigma zoom is OK but loses quality at its long end. It would be better if it was the other way around.

I have three suggestions:
1. A multiplier (Canon 1.4x or 2x) or even an off brand since quality doesn't seem to be your highest priority.
2. Get closer :-)
3. Don't WANT so much.

That last one has saved me a lot of money.

Goos Luck - Africa

Sorry, I just read your last post and realized you bought the Vivtar. But I've spent so much of my valuable time writing this I'm going to post it anyway. Let us know how you like the lens.
Africa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:35 AM   #7

I do understand what you mean, however I am in a situation where wildlife is concerned that I cannot get as close as I would like to some of the birds I shoot due to the landscape around them. These shots below are ok as I could get close enough, however I want to get shots of birds that don't stick around quite as well as these do. I do shoot alot of birds and wildlife, over 10,000 shots in the last 12 months. I also shoot a lot of my son doing his sports, surfing etc. For this reason I saw no problem with giving this lens a go being as it is very cheap and in Australia the lenses sell well on Ebay. Like I said, if the lens is rubbish and I cant see the point in keeping it I will sell it without problems on Ebay again. I am willing to give it a go though. Incidentally, the second photo in this group was taken with a lens rated very badly when I first started learning to use my DSLR for wildlife and I really don't think it is too bad a shot. The others were done with my canon 100-300 usm lens.