Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 27, 2005, 3:38 PM   #1

In the basic zone mode which setting would you keep camera to take pictures in a main dining room of a cruise ship?* lights are dimmed....I am using the digital rebel xt with the is 17-85 lense.
pleaseadvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:11 PM   #2

pleaseadvice wrote:
Quote:
In the basic zone mode which setting would you keep camera to take pictures in a main dining room of a cruise ship? lights are dimmed....I am using the digital rebel xt with the is 17-85 lense.
I would use AV mode, with the shallowest DOF (IE - FSTOP setting, lower the better for more light) and a good tripod.

It might take half a second, etc. ALSO big time deal here, I would start at ISO 400 and move on up to 800 or even 1600 if I had to. High ISO on the Rebel XT and 20D are amazingly good, and you can use Noise ninja or my favorite, built into Paint Shop Pro 9.01.

-tlmiller10
Tim Miller Photography
http://tmillerphoto.com
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:14 PM   #3

Is there a basic zone setting thata I could set??? I would like it as automatic as possible?Also how about the A-DEP mode??
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:15 PM   #4

Is there a basic zone setting thata I could set??? I would like it as automatic as possible?Also how about the A-DEP mode??
Old Dec 27, 2005, 7:18 PM   #5

pleaseadvice wrote:
Quote:
AV mode is ALMOST like automatic.

Automatic chooses the time (how long the shutter is open)
The ISO setting (how sensitive the sensor inside the camera reacts to the light)
and it pops up the flash if needed (probably, and usually not wanted)

AV is a semi-basic mode.

It allows YOU to control the ISO setting
It allows YOU to control the FSTOP
It STILL manages the shutter length , after you set the f-stop.

It's a VERY good mode and mode professionals shoot in it, and manual.

Trust me... I shoot in low light situations ALL THE TIME.

Good luck

-tlmiller10
Tim Miller Photography
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:42 PM   #6

So if I choose AV mode how do I set everything else?* Do you also use AV mode for shooting at night outsde in low light?When do you use A-dep??I am new to this so I need detail explanations.thanks,
Old Dec 27, 2005, 11:47 PM   #7

pleaseadvice wrote:
Quote:
So if I choose AV mode how do I set everything else? Do you also use AV mode for shooting at night outsde in low light?When do you use A-dep??I am new to this so I need detail explanations.thanks,
Detailed explainations came with the camera in the manual.

Whenever outside, in a dark setting most (99.9%) will suggest a good tripod and manual mode (where you control everything).

AV mode is good, beause it lets you control the ISO settings, argueably the most important setting on the camera, because it controls the sensitivity to light in conjunction with the shutter. The lower the ISO, the mode light the camera needs to expose the photo. The HIGHER the ISO, the less light the sensor needs, because it becomes more sensitive.

A LOW ISO Setting = Higher Quality photo (but a slower shutter speed)

A HIGH ISO setting = higher noise, lower quality, but possibly the only way to capture the photo in the first place if theres any remote action going on in the photo.

The Rebel XT handles noise in higher ISO's very well.

If you require a deeper explaination, please goto the main link here, http://www.steves-digicams.com and look up the review for the Canon Digital Rebel XT and Steve explains QUITE a bit.

-tlmilelr10
Tim Miller Photography
Old Dec 29, 2005, 1:50 AM   #8

If flash is permitted in the situation, select Full Auto for the most automatic setting. Select Landscape if you want to get most of the room (a wide picture). If you are taking photos of people, the Portrait setting might be a good choice.Check your manual for more explanation.

If you are shooting with a basic mode setting, the flash will automatically popup if there is not enough light.

Try to get into the dinning room ahead of time and take some test shots in the different modes, tell a crew member what you want to do and they should get you access.

If flash is not allowed then things are tougher, you probably should go to Program mode, take test shots, and review your shots while taking them to make sure they are what you want.

Enjoy your cruise. Regards-
fitzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:42 AM   #9

Thank you very much...very helpful