Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 28, 2005, 6:33 PM   #1

Greetings to all! First of all, let me say that I am a newcomer to the forum, and I would like to compliment all of you on your willingness to help each other. It seems like a nice "community."

The purpose of my post is to run a "newbie" idea by you and solicit any advice that you'd care to share. I am new to the world of photography, and I am trying to assemble a nice "package." I want to make sure that what I am considering purchasing is appropriate/compatible for my interests. I am mainly interested in photographing rural landscapes, animals/pets(both moving and still), and family get-togethers.

The components I am considering are:

1. either the Canon Rebel XT or the 20D - I'm about 75% sold on the 20d

2. the EF-S 17-85 IS - this strikes me as a good all-purpose lens.

3. the Pixma iP8500

Please feel free to make any comments/suggestions that you think would be helpful. Thanks in advance for you time and insights.

Mark

Mark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 28, 2005, 9:17 PM   #2
Super Moderator

well, it seems as you have done your homework..

both camera's are superb..i have the 20d and love it but would not feel undertooled if i were using the rebel xt..

the 17-85 IS is a great all-purpose lens.. it covers a useful focal length, has a good image stabilization system and is quite sharp considering the range it covers..

the pixma 8500 is a great letter size printer.. one of the best color outputs made right now..

you may want to add an external flash.. if you are going to be taking indoor pictures of family and friends and such.. an external flash will give you bounce flash capabilies as well as just getting the flash away and giving you more range.. end result, better looking flash pictures.. consider the 500 dg super from sigma, gives you all the features of the 550ex/580ex for about 200 dollars.. if you are heck-bent on getting a canon the 430ex is a good flash, but you lose some features that the sigma and bigger canon flashes have..

good luck man,
dustin

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2005, 11:30 PM   #3

Sounds good. Consider a quality external flash like Dustin mentioned, it's a very valuable tool. Track your focal length percentages for that next lense! Regards-
fitzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 2:20 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Great starter kit.

I think the price options on the 20D make it a compelling choice at the moment.

I would suggest that you wait on the flash for a bit. I have the Sigma 500 that others mention, but to be honest I don't find it to be very user-friendly at all.

A decent flash costs money and you can get by with the built-in flash for a while.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 12:55 PM   #5

Thanks for all of your responses. They were encouraging and helpful. If you have any other thoughts on any other ancillary items (bags, etc.), please keep on posting. Also, I am thinking of making my "big purchase" through B&H. Are they really as good as they seem to be?

Thanks again - Mark
Mark22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 1:58 PM   #6
Super Moderator

b&h is a great company.. you will have no problems..

as for bags, it will depend on whether you like a backpack style or an over-the-shoulder and the size will be a balance between bulk and how much equipment you see yourself having in the future.. you may want to try out some bags in a brick n mortar store before you buy so you have a better idea what you like..

best of luck
~dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 12:16 PM   #7
Super Moderator

I agree with Dustin 100%.

For bags you simply must go to the store and try them out.

It's impossible to tell whether you'll like a bag by looking at a picture on the internet.

It's like buying shoes over the internet - you must be crazy to do it!
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:20 PM   #8

Dustin,

Is this B&H you were referring to?

www.bhphotovideo.com

Thank you,

Want It
Want It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:29 PM   #9

Yes, that is the store.
And a damn good one.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:40 PM   #10

Eric,

Thank you for your response! Can you tell me why this is such a great store?

Thanks,

Want It
Want It is offline   Reply With Quote