Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2005, 4:00 AM   #1

Recently I have picked up a great deal of motivation to get back into photography again. I was playing around with a friend's digital SLR and it was great. No worrying about wasted film or wondering if I set up the shot properly (although that is part of the fun). Anyways, to cut to the chase, I really want to get into a digital SLR. I've been researching the 10D and the 350D/XT. I will be taking a lot of pictures in low/mixed lighting and it would be a huge bonus to shoot a good succession of photos at a time (mainly will be used for running around on stage at concerts). I'm also looking around at some fast wide angle lenses that are relatively affordable, so any suggestions in that department are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

P.S. First post!
xdanistaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2005, 8:50 AM   #2

Both are nice. I use 10D as I didn't like original 300D. The newer 350D is better but I still don't like the ergonomics. The sensor on 350D is better (high ISO for low light), it is faster to operarte (write times etc.). See if you can hold both in your hand to get their feel. I like solid feel of 10D.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 8:52 AM   #3

Both are nice. I use 10D as I didn't like original 300D. The newer 350D is better but I still don't like the ergonomics. The sensor on 350D is better (high ISO for low light), it is faster to operarte (write times etc.). See if you can hold both in your hand to get their feel. I like solid feel of 10D.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 9:06 AM   #4

Describe the word "Budget" as it pertains to you...

The words "fast wide angle" and "relatively affordable" are usually mutually exclusive when it comes to digital due to the crop factor introduced. Affordable wide angle lenses like the 20-35 EFbecome not-so-wide and it's definitely not fast anyway. As always, you'll pay for speed, if you can find it. Depending on how wide you want, it may not even be available.

Canon's good super-wide lenses, which become only somewhat wide on the digital SLR's, are neither fast or relatively affordable ($600+ or more, new or used). The three I lump into that group are the 16-35 f2.8L, 17-40 f4L or the 10-22 EFS, the last of which isn't even useable on the 10D, which cannot take EFS mount lenses.A fastprime, like the 24mm f1.4, becomes a pedestrian, semi-wide35mm equivalent due to the 1.6 crop factor, and really isn't affordable anyway.

Third party lenses are little better, although somewhat more affordable, but none arefast. The Tokina 12-24or the various Sigma models like the 10-20 or 12-24are probably your best bets, but will all be in the $450-$500 or morerange, and all are variable aperture, not fast at all, lenses.

Fortunately for you, Canon bodies are great performers at the high ISO settings. I see many ISO 800 and 1600 shots in your future....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:39 AM   #5

I started with the 10D and liked the camera a lot.
I chose it over the 300D (not the 350D, it wasn't out at the time) for several reasons the big ones being the depth of the buffer and not having exposure compensation.

The 350D has a deeper buffer than the 300D, I think, but how much I don't know.
The 350D has exposure compensation, but I believe it is only by 1 stop increments. If that is true (read the reviews) that is completely unacceptable to me and almost usless.

I agree with bobbyz, if you can, go to a store and handle the 350D. I doubt you'll find a new 10D to handle so try to find someone with one. It was replaced by the 20D (which rumor says will be replaced in the next few months.)

The 10D is larger and has a slightly different control layout. Part of trying it is to see how it fits in your hands... how comfortable it is. Are the buttons in good places for you? That kinda stuff.

If the 350D had good exposure compensation I'd say get it because it should have better lower light usage... but I don't think it does, and in tricky situations that will really hurt you. Then your choice becomes harder.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 3:36 PM   #6

bobbyz and eric: I have held both and I liked each for their own attributes. The 350D is very light and does not strain my wrist whatsoever and seems like it would be perfect with a vertical battery grip. I don't like that it is made of plastic, but I have yet to drop a camera or do anything on a high enough scale to damage one. The construction of the 10D is obviously superior as it is metal, but I won't be thrashing it so it is not too much of a selling point to me. The button placements on either one are nice, although I like the 10D setup a little better. The review on this site of the 350D says the exposure compensation is available it 1/3 or 1/2 stop increments.

Greg: Budget right now means I will be using the EF mount lenses I already have for my 35mm SLR and waiting for tax refunds to get a new one. I've been looking at Sigma lenses, but realize with the 1.6 crop factor that a lot of the ones that are fast aren't wide anymore. I'm sure I could squeak by for a while on a fast, non ultra-wide lens.

Thanks for all of the help so far!
xdanistaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:30 PM   #7

Ahh, good. So it has what I would call "real" exposure compensation. Someone had posted that it was by 1 stop only and I was surprised.

I would check the reviews for sample pictures in lower light for how well the higher ISOs work. You probably can't use a flash in concert photography (some places allow it, others don't) so you'll be shooting at 800ISO or more. I bet that the 350D looks better at that ISO, but I really don't know.

Available light concert photography can look really good, but it isn't easy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote