Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2005, 5:26 PM   #1

I shoot in Raw, I have been noticing that I'll go on a photo shoot for the day and when I get home and put my Card into my Desktop and open it that it created two folders and split the pictures up between the two folders. Also its not always equal as to how many in each folder sometimes one folder has more than the other. I called canon and the high paying tech had no clue and said it shouldn't be doing that. Anyone not making as much as these tech's have a clue ? I would like it to just be creating one folder with all the pics for that day.
Geminichild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 29, 2005, 10:42 PM   #2

My 20D will create more than one folder.

I heard that it happens do the the type of file organization on the card.

It reaches a limit and then creates a second folder.

Probably somebody else will provide more of an answer than this.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 6:32 AM   #3

What you describe is how it should work and I know of no way to get it to do what you want.

It creates a folder with an ever increasing number and then puts up to 100 images into that folder. Then it makes a new folder and starts to put images in that folder.

For example, if the last image you took was number 1003, then it would create a folder (maybe named 301CANON) and then put images IMG_1004.CR2 all the way to IMG_1100.CR2. Then it would make directory 3001CANON and put IMG_1101.CR2 and start putting images in there. If you shoot more than 100 images, it would put them in 3002CANON and so on.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:34 AM   #4

Eric is right. I recently brought a 5d and one of the improvements mentioned was that it allowed morethan 100 images perfolder. This means that unless Canon upgrades the firmware, you are stuck with the current convention. This can get frustrating when you switch cards and there are only 5-6 images inthe folder on the new card before it creates a new one..

Bill

wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:29 AM   #5

The reason there are only a few images in that folder before it switches to the next one is that its finishing up that range of numbers. The folder number is related to the number used as part of the file name of the image.

I didn't realize they changed this for the 5D. Interesting.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 11:53 AM   #6

To me, it would make more sense to create a new folder based on date.

Hey Canon, are you listening?

lol.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:30 PM   #7

Quote:
To me, it would make more sense to create a new folder based on date. Hey Canon, are you listening? lol. -- Terry
I sure as hell hope so. I'd like to see it by date, image name, or no folders at all (custom function perhaps?) It can't be THAT hard to do, unless of course they're running out of memory as it is...
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote