Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 29, 2005, 7:05 PM   #1

I just got the 20D for Christmas from my wife (Santa) and I love it. She got me the kit with the 18-55 lens. I would like to get another good lens or two that would qualify for the rebates so I can double or triple up. I was thinking of something maybe with more zoom or low light capability. Any suggestions?
hunterdorroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2005, 8:02 PM   #2

Well, if you already have an 18-55, maybe the Canon 10-22 or the Canon 70-200F4 lens.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2005, 9:29 PM   #3

Which one do you think would do better in low light conditions?
Old Dec 31, 2005, 3:56 PM   #4

THe 10-22 doesnt qualify for the rebate as far as i know.

vivek
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:17 PM   #5

If the 70-200 f4 qualifies, it is a great lens. That certainly would give you more zoom. It doesn't give you low light, though.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:05 PM   #6

You can also give youself some experience with IS with the 70-300IS USM. The extra reach is pretty nice. A good low light might be the 50mm f/1.4, both of which are pretty affordable.
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 10:44 PM   #7

I just wonder if I would miss some zoom capablility with the lens you recommend. *I was hoping to end up wth a good all around lens that would have some zoom but be able to take pictures indoors without a flash.
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:15 PM   #8

i would recomment a 50 f/1.8 over 50 f/1.4. U can save a couple of hundred dollors for someother tele lens.

SVB
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:13 AM   #9

Here is another way to think about it. Have you owned a different camera before? If so, what was it? How did it work for you? Did it have enough reach? Not enough? How about low-light, could you do what you want?

By knowing what you want to do, and if you've been able to do it, we can help pick what is right for your needs.

The problem is you ask for what is the "Best" lens... but that is not easy to anser.
Best can mean "best physical lens", in other words, which is optically the best, or produces the most contrasy images, or which focuses the fastest. Those are attributes of the lens.

Or best can bean "best for me" and that has to do with what you'll use it for. If the 70-200 f4 has a 200 dollar discount, but all you do macro photography it would be a waste of money, even with the rebate. you wouldn't use it.

We can say things about the physical lens, but we can't say what is the best for you because we don't know how you'll use the lens.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 11:54 AM   #10

Very good point, this is my first DSLR. Currently, I own a Canon Powershot SD400 and an Olympus C-3030. Irarely use the Olympus anymore and carry the SD400 frequently because of it's size.

What I miss with the SD400 is reach and low light shooting abilities although I love it's size. Most of my shootingcurrently iscandid snapshots at parties, events, etc. so good low light and/or flash capablititywith some reach would seem to be ideal.

The camera came with the 18-55 kit lens which seems pretty decent for a kit lens. I guess I was looking for some opinions on a good all around lens and was hoping to take advantage of combining the rebates. I think I am leaning towards the EF 28-135 or maybe one of the 70-200's or the new 70-300 ISU.

Do I seem to be on the right track?