Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1

Hi,

I am trying to buy a camera online and in the resellerratings.com the overal rating is more than 9 . The sub ratings are not so good.. And i can get the camera atleast 50-60 dollor cheaper than B&H.

can u guys please advice me on how to find whats the right place.

vivek

I am looking at both 20D(For a friend of MIne)and KM5D
waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 3, 2006, 12:11 AM   #2

ebay for the low price, but not great service , try to find a seller that has an ebay store but also has a store in your local area, I was lucky with that when I bought my 350D in toronto Two days ago, the seller offered local pick up, and also saved on shipping, good luck to you.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 11:33 AM   #3

waste wrote:
Quote:
Hi,

I am trying to buy a camera online and in the resellerratings.com the overal rating is more than 9 . The sub ratings are not so good.. And i can get the camera atleast 50-60 dollor cheaper than B&H.

can u guys please advice me on how to find whats the right place.

vivek

I am looking at both 20D(For a friend of MIne)and KM5D
Ok here's the lowdown on the Online Camera Retailers.

Most are located in the Bronx, NY and don't even have store fronts. If they do, many are flighty operations that require you to call in (to verify your order) when they tell you that your camera doesn't come with the normal extras (even though the ad said they did!)

That's not good business, and that's why people here and many other places support local camera shops that are reputable.

But there ARE reputable online dealers.

B&H Photo probably being the best. But you pay a little more for that security. No one is perfect though.

Personally I've used B&H and can highly recommend them.

I can also recommend these folks and would say go with buydig.com first out of this list.

For Cameras:
www.bhphotovideo.com
www.buydig.com
www.beachphoto.com (owned by the same company as buydig.com)
www.adorama.com

For Batteries:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/sterlingtek/

For filters:
www.camerafilters.com

Memory cards:
www.zipzoomfly.com
www.newegg.com

All of these folks have been praised here, and also some things brought to the negative side as well.

I would recommend NEVER buyinga package deal, because that's where they are having a higher markup! It never works out well.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to PM me here or email me at [email protected]

Good luck!
-tlmiller10
Tim Miller Photography
http://tmillerphoto.com
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2006, 9:11 PM   #4

I can also personally recommend Amazon.com, as long as you actually buy from Amazon and not one of the companies that sell through amazon. I got my 20D at a lower price than B&H, free shipping, and even got a free (although cheap and slow) memory card. Still qualifies for rebates since Amazon is an authorized reseller.

I can also give A+'s to sterlingtek (my batteries came a day early!) and newegg.
BrianSkibinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2006, 12:25 AM   #5

B&H has (last I checked anyway) an absolute great return policy. No questions asked, no re-stocking fee if you don't like the product. I've bought many $1000s worth of equipment from them, and never ever had a problem. Highly recommended.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:17 PM   #6

I have had great service through B&H and Amazon... But like someone said, pay attention to who you're buying from at Amazon... They have a lot of 'partners' who could be anybody... I prefer to buy directly from Amazon...
Jimg1212 is offline   Reply With Quote