Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2005, 4:40 PM   #1

I have had 2 Canon PowerShot digis and want to go sSLR soon. One thing that has been bothering me is that dSLRs do not seem to have a "panorama" or stitch-assist mode for follow-on stitching on a PC.

I don't want to give up taking pans. I have tried stitching images that had not been shot with stitch-assist mode and the results were not good. This is because with stitch-assist mode, the camera settings are locked in with the first shot in the pan series. Believe me, this is highly desireable.

Maybe I can now answer my own question: w/ a dSLR, maybe I can also freeze the camera settings as long as I do things manually vice automatic(?)

Does any one know for sure?

Thanks for the insight!

paul
paternl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:16 PM   #2

Don't wory, many people do Panoramas with DSLRs and produce great results.

You've got exactly the right idea. Pick the area where you really care about the proper exposure. Then meter that scene and look at the settings. Switch to manual mode and put it on those settings. Take all the pictures in the Pano, and you're done.

I think on canon DSLRs you can also program the * button to lock the exposure and AF. That would do the same thing... but you should read the manual about Custom Functions to make sure I'm remembering right.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 5:45 PM   #3

Thank you Eric! You won't believe how much I have been wanting that info.

It took Steve's Forum and me writing the question to make the lightbulb go on :idea: !

Now the fun begins...Canon XT, 20D or 5D, that is the question!

When you say "meter the scene and look at the settings..." is this something I can do w/ the dSLR in auto mode, or will I need a separate light meter--as in the old analog film days?

Thx agn
paul
Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:11 PM   #4

Eric's not in at the moment, so let me try to answer. Set the camera on one of the auto modes and frame the area that is most important. While this area is in the frame, look at the shutter speed and apature. Just remeber what these 2 settings are. Then swithc to manual and set those 2 functions to what you saw while framing the most important area of the pano.
It helps if you have a tripod with a level so you can pan straight. I pick a feature that is near the edge on the side I'm panning towards, and then keep my eye on that while panning. Keep that feature in the next frame so your pano progam will have something to work with.
Post some of your panos when you get a chance.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 6:45 PM   #5

I've had great results using the freeware on www.autostitch.com with my Canon 20D. It seems to do some kind of averaging of exposure. Even so, use the manual mode on the camera when taking the pictures.

The program's interface isn't very "slick" but does an absolutely wonderful job of sticking pix together with no banding at all. It's really automatic and has always produced better results for me than any commercial product I've tried.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:17 PM   #6

Thanks very much for the reply Ron!

I guess the dSLR acts like a lightmeter while aimed at a subject and in AUTO mode! That's swell.

Here's a pan near where we live.

Thx agn.

paul
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2005, 8:24 PM   #7

That's very interesting, wildman.

I am going to have a look at that stitcher too. I have been using Canon's s-w to stitch as it came bundeled w/ my PowerShot digis.

Here's another pan from our community.

Thanks!
paul
Attached Images

Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:06 PM   #8
Super Moderator

If you want to know what's possible and some of the problems you'll face with panoramas and DSLRs then go to the Critiques & Techniques forum and check out Lboy's work.

You will be truly amazed.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote