Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Dec 31, 2005, 11:01 PM   #1

I just got a fairly large and heavy lens, Sigma 70- 200 2.8 for my 20D. I was wondering if it was time to get the battery grip or would that not be helpful?

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2006, 10:27 AM   #2

For some people, it is. It can help balance out the weight of the lens, if that is your problem.

If you shoot a lot of portrate work the extra shutter button is good too.

And if you shoot lots (several hundred RAW images at a time) then the extra battery is also a win.

Other than those reasons, I don't think the battery grip is worth it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 2:10 PM   #3

I agree with Eric. I had the 20d and Sigma 70-200 for about 8 months before buying the battery grip. I don't feel it helps 'balance' at all as the 70-200 isn't really that heavy. But, in shooting sports it was a HUGE difference for the added battery and more importantly having the shutter button in the 'right' spot for portrait mode work. Now that I'm not shooting any sports, the grip is off the camera - it fits better in my pack without the grip and provides a lighter camera.

So, my personal experience bear's out what Eric suggested - a lot of heavy shooting in portrait mode makes it worth it. Otherwise it's just too pricey IMO to be a worthy accessory.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2006, 6:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I will give the lens a workout without the grip for now. Saves me a few bucks!

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote