Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2003, 5:58 PM   #1

Default D60 front/back focus and the D60 Service CD

I haven't seen posts here about a problem some of us on DPReview have found with our D60's.

If you place some 35mm film cassettes in a diagonal line, each about 1/2 inch in front of the one on its left (your right) with the UBC barcodes facing square to the camera, and focus on the center cannister's bar code, you may find that the sharpest focus is not where you thought, but on a canister closer to you or further back!

Use a tripod, and shoot with your lens at the longest focal length and widest aperture to minimize the depth of field, to make the results easier to see, and view them at 100% on the monitor. Shoot Jpeg, Av mode. Use mirror lockup, and either a remote release or the self timer, which becomes 2 seconds with the mirror lockup.

If you have been focusing on people's eyes, and find that they are not as sharp as you had thought, this would be the reason. Most of the people with this problem have found "front focusing," but several have found "rear focusing."

Canon has adjusted many of the cameras, but it took several returns until they got it right, for some D60 owners. Somebody on DPReview found the Canon Service Manual for EOS D60. The part number is CY8-1201-256, and has more information about the camera than you ever wanted to know. It also has Adjustment
Software, which allows the front/rear focus to be corrected by you! There is also an appendix in the user's guide that has several lens test charts you can print out.

Based on the excellent results from one of the posters in that forum, I got the CD and will try to correct my front focusing camera. It is a very simple adjustment, and can be reversed if you don't like the results. I'll post before and after shots (hopefully) after this weekend, when I will try the adjustment.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2003, 9:19 PM   #2

i read a post where a person over at that other site showed a left over image from when his camera came back from Canon service. it showed an image where they used rolls of film for the test. his focused perfectly.
i then did the same test with my D60, and same results. no problem at all. i have been in contact with 2 people from that other site, and both have had great results using the focus adjustment software.
you may want to try talking to those guys as i'm sure they'll be glad to help you with your problem.
not every D60 made has a front or rear focus problem, but the people that seem to have problems are the ones that take picture after picture of newspapers or cereal boxes.
me personally, i use my D60 for shooting of actual scenes or people.
:lol:
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2003, 9:43 PM   #3

Walter,

How did your results turn out? Can someone put up a ISO image of that CDROM somewhere so that others can download it? If you can point me to a place where I can get it, I will gladly put up a D60 page on my webserver to serve it up from. If Canon charges $$$ for the CD and service manual, then it might not be such a great idea though.

Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 5:58 AM   #4

Sorry...the Service CD is a copyrighted document and program, but it can be bought from Canon
Old Mar 30, 2003, 6:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK
Sorry...the Service CD is a copyrighted document and program, but it can be bought from Canon
Gee Walter, how was that in any way an answer to Norm's first question?................i realize you hang out at DPR, so i won't expect an answer for some time............... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old Mar 30, 2003, 7:22 AM   #6

(sigh) I was afraid of that. Sell you the camera for two grand without a lens and then make you pay more to have it focus correctly. Moderately frustrating.

Ok, I'll pay Canon more money for the CD then.

Thanks for the response,
Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 8:04 AM   #7

hi Norm, if it's any consilation, i have the CD and it does allow you to change the focusing parameters, but keep track of the amount of steps you go from where you start as the software doesn't.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 11:03 AM   #8

Norm & Hawkeye: My front focus is gone after using the Service CD routine.

As far as keeping track of your adjustment steps, it's a good idea. However, even more important, before you begin save your current camera settings and adjustments under the DATA TRANSFER menu in the adjustment software. You save the Camera adjustments and Digital adjustments separately. That way, no matter what happens in your experimenting, you can upload the original camera settings.

I didn't know that, and I got into a couple of weeks of tedium until I got back to sharp focus.

In addition, while youare adjusting, if you come close to what you want, save the settings under a different name so that you don't overwrite your original settings.

To get the best results without having the pro equipment that Canon has, when it comes to AF you can do Basic AF steps 1 & 2 but not 3, AF Adjustment, all steps, and AF Shift.