Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 6, 2003, 7:09 PM   #1

Default Adobe Camera Raw (ACR) for D60/30 and others

Adobe recently came out with a plugin for Elements and Photoshop 7 that lets you browse your RAW files, double click on them and convert them quickly (about the same time it takes to open a file) with good color and detail.

I have been using BreezeBroswer and YarcPlus, with linear conversions, and find that ACR seems to do just as well. lYou can download it from the Adobe website. Even though they don't offer a trial version, they will refund your money within 30 days if you don't like the converter.

I find it so good that I would say there is no more reason not to shoot RAW.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2003, 7:37 PM   #2
NHL

Or wait and pay slighly more for the next upgrade...

http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7476
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 7:52 PM   #3

BTW, I dowloaded this from Adobe's site the other day and am *really* happy with it!

Thanks Walter. Saved one step in my workflow with this.

Norm
norm911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:21 AM   #4

The only complaint I've heard about the converter is that its default settings are not good for some cameras. I read some people seriously bashing the plug-in early on. Then people learned that it suffers from being a rather generic tool. It can read many different raw formats from different manufacturers... and therefor the default values are not right for most cameras.

So the lesson here is that when you try it, don't get too mad if the results are perfect out of the box.

I believe the origional version of the converter was written for the D60, based on the article in PEI this past month. I'd assume it works best with that model.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2003, 10:28 PM   #5

Hey, here's something interesting. The Adobe Camera RAW and JPEG 2000 bundle that we've been discussing is great, but it seems to have taken away my ability to save images in .jpg format. Am I Photoshop Impaired or did you guys experience the same things? .jpg doesn't even show up as an option anymore when I choose "save as".

Curious,
Norm
Old Apr 1, 2003, 7:54 PM   #6

I don't know what you did, but I now can save a file as Jpeg or Jpeg2000 in PS 7.0.1.
WalterK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2003, 4:49 PM   #7

Well that is strange then. I'm also running 7.0.1. My only choices are JPEG2000, tiff, or Photoshop native format. All of the other options went away. All I did was pay my $99, download the software from Adobe, and launch the installer.

Ok, thanks. Time to call Adobe support.

Norm