Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 2, 2006, 9:17 AM   #1

Happy New Year everyone!

I need some advise regarding my Canon Rebel 6.3 and I was hoping you could help.

I received this camera about three years ago and just adore it. Last year I got a 200mm lens for Christmas and it still continued to perform to my expectations.

So here is my problem. I have ALWAYS downloaded my pictures from my camera to my laptop using the USB port and have never had a problem. We just recently purchased a computer where you can insert the Compact Flash card directly into the computer. This is where my problems started.

The first couple of times it worked fine but just a few weeks ago I went to put the CF card back into the camera and it would not insert all the way down and snap into place. The camera gives me an error that it can not read the card. I know this because it is not inserted correctly.

What I noticed was the prongs inside the CF chamber on the camera were bent over a bit in the middle which is why I am assuming the card will not insert all the way down. I checked the card and it still reads in my computer.

So my question....Is this something I can get repaired and where should I take it? I went to Ritz camera and they told me they would have to send it out to have it evaluated. I just don't want to be taken advantage of and I don't want to be without my camera for a long period of time.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I sure would appreciate it. I live in the Orlando Florida area.
Thank you everyone for taking the time to read my post. I really miss my camera.

Jennifer

Current time is 10:16 am
JP1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 5, 2006, 8:08 AM   #2

I haven't looked on my 300D but you may be able to straighten them using a pair of tweezers.

I straighten bent pins on monitor plugs etc this way, just carefully squeeze the pin and bend as straight as possible then carefully re-insert the CF card. Do not force it as you will only bend the pins again.

Failing that contact canon direct and send it in for a service don't go via a re-seller that just takes extra time from what I've read else where.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2006, 6:25 PM   #3

Thanks Mart.

I am really mad about it. It should have just left it in there. I tried to get in there but it's a real tight squeeze. Do you think Canon will charge an arm and a leg to look at it?

Jennifer

JP1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 5:48 PM   #4

If you still have warranty then they'll probably do it for nothing but if not you may have to pay a standard service cost. Just tell them it's the first time you've removed the CF card and when trying to re-insert it you couldn't get it to go in properly, they may do it free but I wouldn't hold my breath.

mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 12:12 PM   #5

I would think it shouldnt be such a hard fix. Cant you go pick up one of them tiny piks that dentists use? the one with a pick on the end? you might be able to very carefully grab them and bend them back up.

just a thought.

-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote