Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:28 AM   #1
spy

I am now shooting with the Canon 20d and tried one shot in RAW. The programs that came with this camera is the Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0, EOS Image Viewer and Digital Photo Pro. I normally insert the card into the printer and from there the pics download in My Pictures - Windows. However it does not recognize the RAW pic. What do I need to do to be able to work on the RAW images?

Over christmas I found this little gem of a photo opp in Sorrento, B.C. Canada. It is an old catholic church built in the early 1900's. Now the only form of life that live there are the birds.
Attached Images

spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2006, 11:16 AM   #2

I am completely not familiar with Canon's programs any more, I haven't used them for years. I use Breezebrowser Pro for browsing and Downloader Pro for downloading my photos. A card reader is an easier way to download your photos with any program.
When you shoot RAW there should be 2 files: .THM and .CRW. The .THM file is the thumbnail file and the .CRW file is the RAW file. I hope this helps.
Edit: That answer is from a 10D owner, I guess Canon changed the RAW file designation for the 20D to CR2.
On the surface Picasa looks really good, but after downloading it and using it for a couple of months I found it seems to use an awful lot of resources and my computer will "grind away" for seemingly forever after some operations. I eventually deleted it and went back to Breezebrowser.

eosthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:08 PM   #3

RAW files must be converted into a format Elements can understand. People generally convert to jpg or TIFF. Both have their advantages, but that is beyond the scope of your question.

To do this conversion you have a few choices.
Canon cameras come with software to do that conversion. Run the supplied canon file viewer or other software and try to open the RAW file. It should ask you about converting. Once you've saved it you can use Elements to edit it.

Other solutions include downloading the free image editor irfanview, which I believe can convert RAW files. You can find it at www.irfanview.com

There are many programs that you can purchase that will convert it, and do a better job than the Canon software (some times they are just easier to use, other times they actually produce better results.)

The latest version of elements (4.0) can, I believe, read 20D RAW files.
Photoshop CS and CS2 can.
Breezebrowser can
Raw Shooter Essentials (There might be a free version of this.)
and many others.

You will not be able to put the CF card into your printer and just print it with a RAW file. But you'll be able to get more out of your image (when editing it) and then print it. So while it is a slower process, the results should be better. Only you can decide if the better results are worth the hassle of the extra steps.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 2:36 PM   #4

The RAW files should be visible in Windows as a ".CR2" file with a generic icon. You should be able to copy and paste them into "My Pictures" but you won't be able to view them or do anything with them. There is something you can download from Microsoft that makes Windows recognise your RAW files just like JPEGs, with thumbnails and the ability to view them. You can find that here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...photo/raw.mspx

As for converting RAW into JPEG (or TIFF or whatever) I use a program called RawShooter. It is fast and does a great job. I gave up on the supplied Canon software right away. A fairly full featured free version of it can be found here:

http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...essentials.asp

Whatever you do, don't give up on RAW, I started shooting RAW exclusively a few months ago and wish I would have from day 1.
101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 4:43 PM   #5
spy

Thank you for all that great advice. I did download the RAW shooter essentials. Excellent program and very easy to use. I have to ask though, after I'm done working the pic over, how do I save as a jpg. file? I looked on the program and there is no button that saves as jpg. unless I've missed it. I dragged the raw pic into a folder which just saved it as raw.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 5:33 PM   #6

photoshop elements 3.0 and 4.0 both can convertRAW files too. To me it is nice to have one program for converting RAW and also do all my image editing without having to jump from one program to another.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:28 PM   #7

You make all adjustments under the "Correct" tab (top right). When done, click the "Batch Convert" tab, go through all of the settings, then click "Add".
101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2006, 10:55 PM   #8

I have been using Picassa to download and organize my pics. Its a free program available from Google and I would say is at least as good as Adobe Photo Album. It will recognize and display .CR2 files as thumbnails. You can do even do some editing on them and save them as a .jpg. Although not nearly what you can do with Photoshop, it is very handy for organizing and getting a quick idea of what your keepers will be.

http://picassa.google.com/index.html

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:34 AM   #9
sds

Quote:
The Canon Digital Photo pro will open the RAW files and you can save them as jpeg.
sds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2006, 8:44 PM   #10

Canon EOS Viewer program will treat your 20D as an external device.

You can then click on it and navigate down to your RAW files, then drag them to another folder (which you should make beforehand).

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote