Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 10, 2006, 12:26 AM   #1
spy

I have recently purchased my Canon 20d only in December 05 and have had it freeze up on me twice. Nothing will work but the exposure meter in the eye piece. I will then turn it off and then back on, then the camera will work. The card is an Extreem III one gig, and is always empty. I mostly shoot in Manual Mode and battery is good.

I have read the trouble shooting section of the manual but it does not mention this problem.

Any one else experience this?
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:42 AM   #2
spy

This morning, the camera froze up right after I turned it on. The wheel next to the shutter button did work as it manipulated the exposure bar in the eye piece, but the USM motor in the lens would not work, it would not auto focus and I could not set the f stop.

I turned it off, then on and the camera worked fine.

Very puzzled.

Kevin
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:00 PM   #3

I can only recommend to check and/or replace the firmware. If it is up to date then I think you should return it for repair. Not much help, I know.
rrdjserv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2006, 1:02 PM   #4

I wonder if there are some bad copies of this camera floating around. I just bought one, and was never able to use it. When I first turned it on, the flash popped up and the shutter fired by itself. However, when I pushed the shutter button, nothing happened. Every time I turned it off and back on, the same thing happened, even after removing the battery. Fortunately, B&H is replacing it, so I'm hoping for better luck with the new one. The 20D seems to get overwhelmingly good reviews, but several reviewers report the lockup problem.
tmilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 2:24 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hmm, I guess I've shot about 10,000 frames over the last year and a bit and I can recall 2 occasions where it locked up.

One with the older firmware and one with the current one. In each case I turned the camera off, popped the battery, put it back in and switched on. All was fine. Total time taken in each case was less than 10 seconds.

Good enough for me.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 2:36 PM   #6

Can only add my experience, which is 8000 shots taken since Feb and not a single problem. I'd take it back, or at least speak to them or Canon for advice.
amelia_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:11 PM   #7
spy

The store where I bought it said that it was very unussual and did replace the body. After the 3rd shot from the new body, the camera froze up again. They then replaced the 17 - 85 IS lens. I then took some more shots, placed the card into the reader and was not able to retrieve the pictures as it could not detect any. The store then determined that the problem was in the Extreeme III card, replaced it and I have not had a problem since.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 12:08 AM   #8

Sounds like error 99 problem, google search for it. Canon wants me to send mine in for checking, I will once I don't need it for a couple of weeks.

most find that the only "fix" is to switch off remove battery switch on again and carry on shooting, I find a degredation of shots shortly before the error 99 then shutter hangs up, system locks.
speszel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 6:21 AM   #9
spy

I had one freeze up since with the new camera, lens and extreeme III card. So I left the camera on, opened the cf card door then closed it and the camera UN-froze.

Weird.