Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 11, 2006, 11:50 PM   #1

I have a Digital Rebel (Old one). Is there any way that I can use a flash and have a shutter speed near 1/60 of a second? When I use the flash it just sets the shutter speed to the light without a flash.

Thanks,
Storm
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:35 AM   #2

i cant understand what you mean can you cleart it up please?
gaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 12:57 AM   #3

Ok... let me see here. When I put it in program mode the shutter speed is automatically set to 1/60 of a second when a flash is used. But in aperture priority it sets the shutter speed as if I wasn't using the flash at all.

Hopefully that helped,
Storm
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:06 AM   #4

when you are in AP the flash assumes that you want to use Fill-Flash thats why it allows you to set the shutter speed
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:14 AM   #5

How do you set the shutter speed while in AP and using a flash?
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:26 AM   #6

You can't. That is how flash works in AP.
If you had the 10D or the 20d, you could adjust the shutter using exposure compensation. but you can't do that with the earlier DRebel.

Read the manual again, how a flash interacts within the different modes is spelled out (not well, but it is.)

gaide is exactly right. When in AP, the flash is treated as a fill flash and is only used to fill in shadows. You can't use it to improve your shutter speed.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 1:38 AM   #7

just take the plunge and get a Sigma 500 Super
Old Jan 12, 2006, 7:20 AM   #8

I'm sorry - maybe I'm missing the obvious here. Why not set the camera in Manual mode - then you control both shutter and aperture and the flash will meter to expose correctly - with a heavy bias (on 300D0 towards the active focus point. When I had the 300d, I found I need to use FEL to lock flash exposue on as close to a neutral grey as I could find (if a person, the face).

So, in manual mode, you set the shutter to 1/60, aperture to whatever value you need for proper DOF (also suggest ISO of 200 or 400) and then fire away.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:39 AM   #9

If you load the Russian hack to your Digital Rebelyou can use one of the enabled features toeither leave the set up as is in aperture priority, or you can set the camera to go to 1/200 sec for every flash shot. Otherwise, if you want to set 1/60 secyou need to use manual mode as mentioned above and set your own shutter speeds and f-stops. Program mode (p) usually will select a shutter speed of around 1/60 sec but the default aperture indoorsis usually f4, which isn't the preferred setting for many if not most shots. Really, manual is what you need to be using.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2006, 9:59 AM   #10

All right everyone, thanks for the help. I guess I will just go manual. BTW Gaida I have a Quantarray QDC-900WA

Storm