Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 12, 2003, 10:14 AM   #1

Default EOS10D Autofocus

Other than 7 points vs the 3 on the D60, the autofocus on the 10D is compared (speed wise) to the Elan 7. No one has compared the D60 to the Elan 7, so the comparison means nothing to me. Is the autofocus of the 10D significantly faster than the D60? How about compared to the 1D?
Thanks to anyone who can answer this.
ajgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 21, 2003, 9:35 AM   #2

Autofocus on the 10D is significantly better than the D30/D60. In fact, by taping three pins on my 1.4x tele converter, I get reliable autofocus even in low lighting situations with my 100-400 IS. That simply means that the camera is autofocusing at F8, something which the D30/D60 would not do except in really good light.

I find that the autofocus on my 10D is similar to the autofocus on my 1D, except that it won't autofocus at F8 without taping the pins on the tele converter. This means that Canon doesn't want to position the 10D in direct competition with more expensive (1D, 1Ds) cameras in that respect, but saw fit to improve the autofocus well beyond previous versions.

The red light focus assist is gone - the flash pulses for this purpose, but I've not found it necessary to use this feature unless trying to autofocus in total darkness. As good as the Elan? Yes, I would think so.

Lin

Lin
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 2:49 PM   #3

Lin

Could you describe what you mean by "Taping the pins"? I think I know (you altered how the camera detects the lens by taping over parts of the lens mount) but I'd like to be sure. You said you did it on a TC. Could you do it on the lens directly? Maybe a picture would help? I'm sure one of your dozen+ cameras could do a decent macro to show it!

Also, how do you like the 100-400? I'm thinking of the 10D and that lens for bird photography (my deal on a D100 fell through.)
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 3:20 PM   #4

Hi Eric,
I don't have my tele adapter taped now - I wouldn't recommend taping the pins on the lens - not necessary unless you are using a tele adapter and wouldn't want to get tape goo on the pins - much more expensive to "fix" if you mess it up..... but here's a link to instructions:

Lin

http://www.fredmiranda.com/TipsPage/
Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote