Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 18, 2006, 3:18 AM   #1

Morning all,

Got my 350D a month or so ago and been playing and shooting pretty much continually now.

My first real test is going to be in a month though when I go snowboarding I plan to take shots of my friends on ramps, off piste in forests and in some lovely powder(hopefully)

What im after ideally is any advice on what kit to use, any tips on settings, technique and also any tips on protecting the camera during travel and actually on the mountain.

Thanks

Stu

stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:48 AM   #2

stustaff wrote:
Quote:
What im after ideally is any advice on what kit to use, any tips on settings, technique and also any tips on protecting the camera during travel and actually on the mountain.

Stu - I'm not sure what you mean by 'what kit to use' so please clarify - are you talking about what lens to use? If so, what do you have?

I would suggest using a circular polarizer on the lens if you've got any sky showing - it will really help things 'pop'. Also, when shooting snow, the camera will typically see all that white and determine it's exposure to try and 'tone it down' - so you typically need to set an Exposure Compensation - around +2/3 or +1. The precise value will be specific to your situation - use your histogram and take some test shots - you want the histogram to be as far to the right as possible without spiking or being 'blown out' (where histogram goes off the right side and the blown out part of the image flashes on the LCD). As for other techniques, people and action are always more interesting when they're coming at you - so be downhill of your friends when you shoot them.

As for protection - I can't help you there. I don't take my DSLR when I ski - even though I'm a good skiier (iMO anyway :-)) I don't like to risk thousands of $$ in photo gear.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:38 AM   #3

Thanks sorry wasnt specific enough, I currently have the kit lens and by equipment meant filters, monopod, waterproof stuff? etc etc

Settings any advice really as it should be very sunny and very white! natch and never shot in those conditions before.

stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote