Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Canon EOS dSLR (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-eos-dslr-41/)
-   -   Shooting Preference (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/canon-eos-dslr/78511-shooting-preference.html)

nymphetamine Jan 21, 2006 5:01 PM

How many of u prefer shooting in manual mode(not focussing) and how often do you use it.

And how many shots it generally takes for one to get the rightly exposed pictured.

I normally end up taking atleast three shots per subject to get the right composition.

and i know its by practice that one gets to shoot in a couple of attempts with right composition, but is there any tips that u can share to get the right mix

I mostly prefer the Manual mode and i use the Aperature priority to get a hold on the shuitter speed and then i recompose it in the manual mode.

THanks for sharing.

SVB

[email protected] Jan 21, 2006 10:07 PM

I would say most pro's, out in the field, shoot shutter speed priority or aperture priority.

You might shoot fully manual in a studio or if you're trying something tricky in the field.

-- Terry

peripatetic Jan 21, 2006 11:35 PM

I'm afraid I don't understand the question.

How does getting the exposure right have anything to do with the composition?

How does manual mode (on the exposure) have anything to do with manual focus?

These are separate issues. I would suggest a good book on photography or perhaps a photography course.

bobbyz Jan 22, 2006 12:42 AM

I think the original poster is interested in manual exposure not manual focus.

I use aperture priority most of the time. When I use manual mode, I use aperture priority mode to get a ball park exposure values and then in manual mode, take a shot, and based on the resulting histogram, adjust Shutter Speedor Aperture, accordingly. Most of the time, sunny 16 rule also works quite fine in california for outside shots.

Any particular reason you want to be using manual exposure only?

NHL Jan 22, 2006 8:27 AM

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:

How many of u prefer shooting in manual mode and how often do you use it.

And how many shots it generally takes for one to get the rightly exposed pictured.
bobbyz is correct IMO the poster meant manual exposure, and I use the manual mode quite often to capture birds in flight actually ;)

A white (or black) bird for example usually can fool a camera metering, but when the background varies like when this white (or black) bird is in flight, the camera mostly 'evaluates' the wrong value :mad:

-> I set the exposure manually for the bird regardless of where he's heading
You also want to use the manual mode for landscape shots in case yo need to stitch the resulting pictures together (and save yourself a lot of hours in Photoshop), especially AWB!

Caboose Jan 22, 2006 9:10 AM

I have my 20d set to manual mode about 95% of the time. Although I use it much like aperture priority in that I set my aperture for what ever creative exposure I want, wide open if I'm looking to freeze the action or get a nice background blur. Or stopped down for more DOF, or to create motion. Then just adjust my shutter speed accordingly. The main reason I stayin manual mode is probably a little feeble minded, but at my age I think I have that right. In manual mode I know the quick control dial on the back of the camera always controls my aperture and the main dial on top always controls the shutter speed. In aperture priority or shutter priority the main dial on top controls the aperture or shutter speed depending on which mode your in. I just like to keep it simple.

[email protected] Jan 22, 2006 9:26 AM

I use autofocus 99 percent of the time :)

bigboyhf Jan 22, 2006 9:58 AM

I use Aperture or Shutter priority and use exposure compensation for the tricky lighting shots. I suppose that using manual would accomplish the same thing, just using different controls... I have not used the auto bracketing feature, which might be helpful in certain instances. Using the "spot" meter :roll: on the 20D is fairly helpful when lighting issues pop up, but I do wish there was a REAL spot meter!! Evaluative metering never gets backlighting right no matter what they claim.

H

NHL Jan 22, 2006 1:45 PM

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:

I use Aperture or Shutter priority and use exposure compensation for the tricky lighting shots. I suppose that using manual would accomplish the same thing, just using different controls...
IMHO it's not - try to pan your camera around, the exposure will change! ;)

In manual both the aperture & shutter stay fix... This works extremely well when you're metering from incident light, which is constant (California example) instead of the camera which varies which what are reflected :idea:

bigboyhf Jan 22, 2006 4:09 PM

:cry: If only I had an incident meter and knew how to use it properly... Is there a way to use manual mode with the in-camera meter to approximate what an incident meter would do?

H

NHL wrote:
Quote:

This works extremely well when you're metering from incident light, Thawhich is constant (California example) instead of the camera which varies which what are reflected :idea: