Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 24, 2006, 7:03 AM   #1

:?:? Ican't take nigjt shots. Whatever settings I set I can't get shutter to release and take picture. I know everything blinks, so not enough light. How can you get around this? I could do this with no problem with my nikon 8800,but having trouble with the canon rebel. Everything else is fine. Any input would help. Thanks.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 8:14 AM   #2

Quote:
I know everything blinks, so not enough light.
I'm not sure I follow this statement. What mode do you have the camera in (auto, p, tv, av, manual)?

If the shutter won't release, it is typically because the camera could not focus - not because there isn't enough light. Although lack of light can lead to inability to focus. The Canon needs to detect contrast in order to focus. In low light that can be difficult to do. Lenses with larger apertures (like a 50mm 1.8) allow more light in and the camera can focus better than when using a lens with a max aperture of f8 (note, when a camera focuses it always uses the max aperture of the lens - so if using a 50mm 1.8 lens - even if you set the camera to f8 the camera will focus with the lens at 1.8 and it closes the aperture down to f8 when the picture is taken).

To see if this is your problem, put your lens on manual focus and try taking the picture. If the shutter fires, the problem is you don't have enough light for the camera to auto-focus with that lens. In that case you either need to manually focus or need focus-assist from a flash.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:54 PM   #3

Looks like john explained it well. My settings are usually tv with the shutter speed adjusted for the available light. For my pictures of the northern lights, I used bulb mode.

I love taking night shots with my rebel, so keep at it. It's worth it!

a recent night shot of mine:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/memento/67563162/
memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 12:01 AM   #4

Thanks alot. I will also switch my lens. That may have been my problem as well.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote