Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 24, 2006, 1:21 PM   #1

I've got a 350D and Sigma 500 DG super flash. I've been playing around with the use of a second flash as a slave to soften and reduce shadows. However, when taking pictures using the Sigma as a slave it makes no difference. Even if I use the Sigma on board and a cheap secondary flash (which fires when it detects the main flash) I get no joy. Do I need to manually set the flash sync speeds to match on both the on board and Sigma flashes? Do I need to change the curtain settings on the Sigma? I'm getting no joy with any I've tried. I keep having to use the Sigma on it's ownon board the camera and using the bounce to get around shadows.Doing the slave thingwas never difficult using my film EOS 50E even with cheap little secondary flashes!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

:?
AshV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 24, 2006, 9:24 PM   #2
NHL

1, How do you trigger the second flash as a slave?
2. What brand is the 2nd flash?

When you use the EF-500DG Super as a slave,
3. What mode did you set the Sigma in (i.e. ETTL on non E-TTL)?
4. Did you use the camera flash as the trigger?

AshV wrote:
Quote:
Doing the slave thingwas never difficult using my film EOS 50E even with cheap little secondary flashes!!

:?
EOS film cameras never pre-flash - dSLR do :idea:
-> With dSLR the slaves go off during the pre-flashe(s) and when the real shot come (the last flash pulse), the slaves has already triggered and remains off hence do not contribute to the overall lighting...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 6:19 PM   #3

I have tried using the Sigma as a "normal slave" as directed in the manual (page 24). This is in non ETTL mode, again as directed by the manual. The primary flash is the built-in on-board unit. I still get shadows and the slave has no effect. In this setup the built in flash does not pre-flash.

I have also experimented using the Sigma as the main flash attached to the camera. The slave in this setup is a small Cobra RS10 which has a light sensor and flashes when it detects the main flash. A similar setup using my EOS 50 worked in removing shadows. Again with the 350D the Cobra slave seems to haveno effect. When using the Sigma flash as the main on-board flash there is no pre-flash so the Cobra slave fires as expected.

I must admit this was a very simple process involving simple physics with the film EOS 50. I'm lost as to why an identical setup with the digital 350D doesn't behave as expected. The only reason I can think of is due to flash/shutter timings.Am I still missing something?

Has anyone actually tried a similar setup?
Old Jan 25, 2006, 8:19 PM   #4
NHL

AshV wrote:
Quote:
I have tried using the Sigma as a "normal slave" as directed in the manual (page 24). This is in non ETTL mode, again as directed by the manual. The primary flash is the built-in on-board unit. I still get shadows and the slave has no effect. In this setup the built in flash does not pre-flash.
Yes it does pre-flash!
-> The built-in flash is always on auto (even if the camera is on manual)

1. To overide this press the * button (AEL/FEL lock) the built-in flash will pre-flash so point the camera away from the Sigma - while keeping the * button pressed, release the shutter to take the picture this 2nd flash will trigger the EF-500DG properly to eliminate the shadow.

2. An easier way to bypass the built-in flash is to use any cheap flash with a hotshoe on the camera - it will trigger the Sigma properly

Quote:
I have also experimented using the Sigma as the main flash attached to the camera. The slave in this setup is a small Cobra RS10 which has a light sensor and flashes when it detects the main flash.
Set the Sigma flash on manual (not ETTL)
-> With the camera on manual and the EF-500DG Super on manual - This setup will behave like your film camera! :idea:
(i.e. in E-TTL it will pre-flash when mounted on the camera even if the camera is on manual - the EF-500DG flash has to be on manual to not pre-flash)

FYI - The rear panel LCD on the EF-500DG Super should say "M" when the Sigma is in manual. You can tell because when you press the * button (AEL/FEL) the flash will not fire. This set up will work with the Cobra - Guaranteed

Quote:
Has anyone actually tried a similar setup?
I just repeated both set up above to make sure and it worked just fine

BTW page 24 is not for "normal slave" because it involves Master/Slaves with channel setting. Pagee 27 is the normal slave mode i.e. with the "M" on the LCD!

Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:58 AM   #5

Thanks for all that info. I must admit I've not ever noticed the Sigma pre-flash the same way the on-board flash does. All I've noticed it do is fire the infra-red to assist focussing.

But anyways, I'll try all this and let you know. Unless I behave like a numb nut I'm sure I'll emulate the same results as you have said. I do have to admit the Sigma manual is maybe a little misleading when it comes to remote flash use. Half the manual is dedicated to it and it becomes unclear which section actually applies.

Thanks again.
Old Jan 26, 2006, 10:54 AM   #6
NHL

AshV wrote:
Quote:
I do have to admit the Sigma manual is maybe a little misleading when it comes to remote flash use. Half the manual is dedicated to it and it becomes unclear which section actually applies.
It's not just Sigma, large portion of the 550EX and 580EX manuals are devoted to the Master/Slaves as well - especially when it comes to channels and flash IDs most users get quite confuse as well (if they do get to it...)

That not even counting how to set the slave(s) ratio or FEC remotely from the camera!!! :lol: :-) :G
Old Jan 28, 2006, 9:50 AM   #7

Thanks NHL. I tried your suggestions and hey presto. It looks like the preflash has been doing me all this time. I've got an old but good flash I used with the EOS 50 which I can use as the wireless slave.

By the way without sounding pedantic (cos it may help others) the A5 size manual I got with theSigma flashdoes have the "Normal Slave Flash" section on page 24 as I stated. In this booklet page 27 is German instructions.

I think the web based PDF manual is what you may have been referring to. This has the same section on page 28. We were both correct but just not "reading from the same hymn sheet".

Nice one Sigma! As if we aint already confused.
Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:40 PM   #8
NHL

AshV

I'm glad it worked for you - I also like how the "built-in" exposure calulator works on the rear LCD panel for manual control...

If you can afford it,I highly recommendtwo(2) or more Sigma's in Canon's E-TTL mode as Master and Slave(s) it's much easier and faster. For example you can turn on the 'modeling light' function on the flashes by just pressing the stop-down button on the cameraso you can judge the effect of the shadow casts even before taking a shot!