Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 25, 2006, 5:36 PM   #1

I got a call Monday from a lady 30 min from me. I did not know her, but she had received a piece of Really Right Stuff mail with my name on it - it was stuck to the back of her RRS mail. She's looking for a photo buddy - her husband, (and my wife), arn't interested in photography.
She uses a Canon EOS 1Ds Mark II and has a bunch of "L" lenses. Over the phone she offered to let me borrow her lenses. Amongst other things, she's the photographer for Chandwick & Son orchids, and she offered to let me tour their nine greenhouses with my camera.
Of course, my wife is not too sure about this...:G:roll:

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2006, 5:15 AM   #2

I look forward to reading YOUR letter in the Penthouse Forum !!!!! <GRIN>

Lucky Guy !!!!!

Let us know how you like the "L" Lenses

:|

Sam

lauricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 4:05 PM   #3

Sounds kinda like what happened to me.
I am unable to fly, for health reasons.
I met a person while photographing owls and after about two hours of talking he asked if I was interested in going to Flordia with him because *he drives down*. And has done so 8 times in the last 3 years.

This is the only way i'll ever get down there... and I can go with someone who knows places to photograph animals/birds!

I never thought I'd get to say this... I'm going to Flordia next month!

Some times you just get lucky.

Eric

ps. But that story definitely won't be appearing in playboy or any other "sister" publications.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:09 PM   #4

Something tells me this is going to involve Jack Daniels.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2006, 6:56 PM   #5

Terry,
Jack and I have been on a first name basis for some time...:G
Ron:blah:
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 1:28 AM   #6

Eric, how was Florida? Had some fun and got some good shots?

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:24 AM   #7

Barthold,
Florida was so different than up here it isn't even funny.
- The light is better. Brighter and a bit warmer in feel. So much more of it too. I was consistantly getting better shutter speeds down there than I get up hear year round. Could just have been time of year? Less clouds?
- You just get closer. I knew this was true, but to see it... wow. My 600mm was too much for the birds on many occasions. I never say that way up here in Mass.
- They were less afraid. This goes with "you can get closer" but its also different. Physically I could get closer (the parks I went to were setup for closer viewing) and the birds didn't really mind when I did.

The results were that I ended up shooting all day, every day (except for the one day of rain) and took over 2300 images. I still haven't culled them all (and I gotta!)

Some birds were ones I get up here but were friendlier (red shouldered hawks) others were new (skimmers)

It was loads of fun, I definitely want to go again!

Eric
Old Apr 1, 2006, 12:34 AM   #8

eric s wrote:
Quote:
... My 600mm was too much for the birds on many occasions.
Never thought I would hear that.. If you need to part with it I'll give it a nice home :-)

Seriously, sounds like you had a great trip. Good deal! Wish I had someone local I could join up with and go shooting sometime, swapping stories and sharing experiences (and equipment). Haven't found anyone yet though

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2006, 1:09 PM   #9

Colorado is a very popular place to photograph. I don't know where you are in the state (and I wouldn't recognise it any ways) but I would suggest looking for a camera club near by.

If there are any photo stores, I would check for fliers. Also, some online searching might turn up something.

This site doesn't have any regional forums, but www.naturescapes.net and www.naturephotographers.net both do. The people on both sites are stunningly good (as a general rule) but they have been very nice to me. I regularly go to the first one and here (basically daily.)

Don't worry, now that I'm back up in Mass, I'm putting that 600mm to very good use. I missed this one shot that makes me so mad. I was watching an Anhinga sitting on a nest. I wanted to catch it nice red eye with the blue ring around it while it tucked down to sleep. then suddently its mate showed up and presented it with a leaf (I'm sure it was a mating/bonding thing) and the 600mm was too much. I could only get this the head and minimal neck from above and the anhinga from below. Looking at the shots, I missed it. Such potential for a good "unique moment" shot. Maybe next time.

You can find some of my images from that trip here:
http://esmith.marx7.org/galleries/Bi...2006/index.htm

Use the rigth arrow and the last page and the last image on the second to last page (you can't miss the aligator in the forground) are from Florida.

Eric