Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 16, 2003, 7:34 AM   #1

Default Sigma Lenses on a 1 DS?

Hi, has anyone tried any of the Sigma EX Lenses on the 1DS or 1D? I'm particularly interested inn the 15-30, 20-40 and 70-200.

(Looking for a slightly cheaper alternative to the Canon L Series)

Thanks.
Stew.
twomoocows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 16, 2003, 10:25 AM   #2

1DS or 1D.....which is it???......... both are different in that one is full frame and the other is 1.3x.........i also wouldn't expect much with the Sigmas, especially the 15-30 on a 1DS.......
if you buy a 1DS, why would you want to ruin the results with inferior glass?
this is like asking which UV filter to get, the cheap one or the best?..........
Hawkeye12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2003, 12:53 AM   #3

I don't care about the focal length multiplier. I just want to know if they lenses will work properly with these cameras.

Anyone actually using any of the Sigma EX Lenses with either of these two cameras??
Old Mar 25, 2003, 7:59 AM   #4

Default EX Lenses

Yes. They all work and I must admit that the Canon L Glass is better but I have almost every single EX zoom, along with a few primes (8mm Circular, 15mm Fisheye, 105mm Macro) and I WILL say that they represent excellent value for the money. I am a full time working Pro Photographer and my clients cannot tell the difference....

The fact that some people use the words 'inferior' irks me when I know that a lot of them haven't even tried anything else!

And before I get shot down in flames about this, I 'll say that I'm not arguing about which is better, just that the Sigma's represent great glass for the money.
iconnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 9:25 AM   #5

I bought the new Canon EF 16-35mm F/2.8 since 70% of my shooting are in this range ( I used it with the new Canon 10D with the 1.6x lens effects) and it's a great lens, the AF works so fast sometime you just can believe what you see. Since the other 30% of my shots are in the longer telephoto lens, I did not purchase the Canon brand but I did buy the Sigma 70-200mm HSM F/2.8, and this is an exellent lens in term of top notch performance, AF operation was very fast and the HSM is very much comparable to the Canon USM, very good material and quality built, for the price, it's an exellent choice.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:32 AM   #6

Sigmas EX series lenses are pretty high quality optics. i've shot with my F5 using their 28-70 2.8 and i found it to be a more than adequate lens for all my work in that range. i'm getting the 70-200 2.8 in about a week or so too.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:28 PM   #7

I have read very good things about the Sigma 70-200mm HSM F/2.8. That is on my list of things to consider.

The only consistant downside I've heard about Sigma is that their quality control seems lower than Canon. Some of their lenses are not good (same with Canon or Nikon) but even with their good lenses (like the 70-200) you can still get a bad one. I'd make sure I bought it from a place where I could return it or swap it without any hassle.

But I agree iconnx, for the money, Sigma makes some very nice lenses. From all I've read the Canon L glass is better, but for most uses, most people won't know the difference!
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2003, 5:44 AM   #8

Default Sigma EX Lenses on a 1 DS.

Thanks folks. I had thought that Sigma had come a long way with their lens quality, and it seems your responses prove this for the EX Lenses at least. I personally like the look of the 20-40 and 70-200.
Old Apr 15, 2003, 8:21 AM   #9

I have had the Sigma 15-30 for 2 years and have used it on both a D30 and D60. Its truly a great lense. I bought it because of the technical comparisons between it and the Canon 17-35 showed it to be better in most categories, equal in many others and almost as good in the rest. I have sold more than 700 prints 24x36 or larger from that lense and no one ever questioned its technical ability.
DigiPhotoBill is offline   Reply With Quote