Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 28, 2006, 6:40 AM   #1

Not sure where to post this ???

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have a Canon Rebel xt. You need to use the viewfinder to look at what your shooting instead of LCD screen. While taking pictures of sunsets, is there anything you can put over the veiwfinder to protect your eyes from the sun? Would sunglasses be ok or is there a filter? I hope someone in this forum can helpout. You always seem to have the right answers. thanks

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"ps. I posted a sunset landscape in the landscape section and this is what I am talking about. Just want to avoid dirrect sunlight contact. thanks again.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2006, 7:57 AM   #2

even a very dark wratten 87 infrared filter will not protect your eyes from direct sunlight. Never look directly at the sun through your view finder.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:22 PM   #3

You could take the shot looking thru your LCD.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 8:29 PM   #4

From what i have found, I can only use the viewfinder on this model. Unless you know something I don't. LCD can only be used for playback, and not for taking any photos.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2006, 2:09 PM   #5

If you can get your hands on #14 welder's glass, that will protect.

You could try and get your hands on some Baader Solar Film and make what's known as "eclipse glasses".

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/so...fi_start_e.htm

NOTE ON ECLIPSE GLASSES:

The eclipse glasses that are marketed should not be used with cameras or binoculars as the sunlight is concentrated through the lens and eye damage can still occur. Eclipse glasses should only be used for non-optically assisted viewing of the sun; meaning just your eyes and the glasses, no binoculars, cameras, or telescopes, et al

------------------------------------------------

The Baader Solar Film by itself is relatively cheap. $35 for a package, IIRC.
Then, fabricate cardboard glasses and securely attach the Baader film
to the eyeglass lens area.

A "white light" solar filter, like those sold by Orion Telescopes and Binoculars
will work. A 60mm filter is like $55.

http://www.telescope.com/shopping/pr...d=solar+filter

-OR-

http://tinyurl.com/3f3lh

You will not see landscape detail when the filter is placed between your eye and the viewfinder, but you will see the position of the sun relative to your composition. Then you can review the shot with the LCD and recompose as necessary.

Sorry for the brevity, but astronomy is a "sub-hobby" of mine and while
solar viewing/imaging is quite enjoyable, it is also very dangerous if the
simplest of precautions are not followed.

Tom D

photo118 wrote:
Quote:
Not sure where to post this ???

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I have a Canon Rebel xt. You need to use the viewfinder to look at what your shooting instead of LCD screen. While taking pictures of sunsets, is there anything you can put over the veiwfinder to protect your eyes from the sun? Would sunglasses be ok or is there a filter? I hope someone in this forum can helpout. You always seem to have the right answers. thanks

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"ps. I posted a sunset landscape in the landscape section and this is what I am talking about. Just want to avoid dirrect sunlight contact. thanks again.
TomDuggan is offline   Reply With Quote