Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2006, 5:35 PM   #1

I posted a msg another forum, not sure how much trafic it's getting, so here's a link:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=67

Thanx for looking,

Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:45 PM   #2

Well the also make 3 and 4 stop graduated ND filters, just to throw some more temptation your way. I'm assuming you are talking about the square drop in filters like Cokin or Lee, I don't know that they make a screw-on graduated filter, but they may. There are also come in hard edge and soft edge, I prefer the soft edge. I would say start with the two stop myself if your choice is between the 1 & 2, only because if you are only one stop off you can probably bring enough detail in the underexposed area of the scene in your photo editor.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:45 PM   #3

I don't use an ND filter but one stop sounds like the plan.

Sounds like Caboose has more experience in this area and he's recommending two stops.

Generally when I work with RAW files I don't like to tweak a photo more than one stop anyway.

Under what photographic situation do you intend to use it?

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:03 PM   #4

Terry,
I'm talking about a graduated nd filter. Mostly for landscapes where the sky is much brighter than the rest of the image.
I like caboose's idea - I can correct for 1 stop difference in post, so I'm thinking the 2 stop would serve me better.
Thanx,
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:16 PM   #5

with the 2 stop you are actually going to be pretty good for conditions that are anywhere from 1 to 3 stops off, concidering you can correct for 1 stop post processing. I used cokin filters quite a bit back in my film days, and have just started using them again with digital and I like the results so far. I agree with Terry about only correcting for no more that one stop post too. The cokin filters are pretty inexpensive, and they are pretty much a one size fits all once you get the adapter rings for your different lenses. I would recommend The "P" size filters. Lee, Singh-Ray andHitech and I believeeven Tiffen make square filters that fit the Cokin filter holder.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 10:20 PM   #6

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see the word "graduated".

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote