Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:20 PM   #1

hi!

I will be buying my first dSLR soon and have decided on the Canon Rebel XT after reading reviews and forum conversations.

My first use for this camera will be a safari trip in Africa. I read somewhere that a 300mm lens would be the minimum for this. I've been reading a lot of reviews and was wondering on what people's opinions were on a good lens. I do not have the $$ to go super high quality so I realize there will be some compromise on the types of images I can capture.

I read somewhere that the Canon 75-300mm was not that great. So I started looking at the Tamron 70-300mm which seemed to get good reviews considering the $ spent. I also looked at the Tamron 28-300mm as a good all-in-one lens (I'd like to travel as light as possible to Africa). I do realize that going with the 28-300mm will compromise quality but I was thinking for travel purposes it would be adequate. I won't be printing photos larger tha 8x10.

Should I get the kit lens, too? I have a point and shoot digital I'll probably be using for close up shots while in Africa so really want the dSLR to do longer distance photos and more "artistic" things.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
ShutterRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2006, 9:38 PM   #2

You could always ask your Africa tour guides what they would recommend, in terms of focal length for the trip.

The kit lens only adds about $60 to the price of the cam, so why not?

To get the best idea, you should probably have an idea of the focal length you're going to need.

You could go long, like a 75-300, however you'd have to compromise a bit if you were taking pictures of people in the villages, etc.

I have a buddy who does various safaris around the world, I will see if I can ask him. Unfortunately I only see him once in a long while.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2006, 11:10 PM   #3

The Sigma 70-300 APO is very good and is very cheap. If you have the money though, I would get the new Canon 70-300 with image stabilization. It has much better reviews than the older canons of similar focal length and the IS should be a huge boon. I struggle to keep my sigma steady when zoomed out to 300mm.
Definitely get the kit lens unless you get a better replacement for it with similar zoom range.
jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 2:11 AM   #4

Get the sigma70-300 only if you don't want to pay for the canon with IS one, I went through the same thing Three days ago and got the Sigma for half the price of the canon IS, in Africa you will have alot of sun, good lighting conditions the sigma should do good, but IS is always a help, good luck:-).
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 9:40 AM   #5
Super Moderator

If you can afford it I would suggest the following two lenses:

1. EF-S 17-85 IS USM
2. EF 70-300 IS USM

Those two lenses on the XT will serve you very well in Africa, on safari and in other circumstances too and will make an ideal 2-lens solution IMO.

Again IMO to significantly improve on the quality of the pictures you can get with the XT and those 2 lenses you will need to spend a lot of money.

IS on the back of a Land Rover is very useful, and 300mm is definitely the minimum you will need. You could consider getting a teleconverter too.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 1:41 PM   #6

Peripatetic is giving you some top advice.

I'd also recommend the teleconverter as well, as it's short money if you need the extra reach.

Would you recommend a 1.4x tele or a 2x tele, Peripatetic?

Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:14 PM   #7

Thank you, everyone for your advice!

I would love to invest in an EF 70-300 IS USM but I'm afraid a lens of this caliber is out of my justifiable price range at the moment. A dSLR in general is a hefty investment for me at the moment.

Does anyone have any ideas between the Sigma 70-300 APO vs the Tamron 70-300?

Also, any thoughts on the Tamron 28-300? I thought maybe investing in this lens would allow me to travel with just one lens versus two. I'm also bringing along my point and shoot digital camera to capture "normal" shots that don't involve animals and LandRovers.

Thanks!
ShutterRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:26 AM   #8

depending on the lighting situations you'll be dealing with, i 've had great results with the Canon 75-300 USM II lens which is not stablized. If there is enough light, you can shoot the full zoom length without any focus issues. I recently spent a weeend shooting photos of my friends out in Parumph Nevada in the desert on a race track and my 75-300 USM worked great. Sharp photos of race cars doing 40-120mph from various angles and very long distances since they dont like us getting too close to the track. While some of the shots did get washed out by the bright overhead sun, i was able to do some fixing with a little photoshop magic.

My friend took this photograph of me driving a 400whp Evolution and had the ISO set too high, but it was at full 300mm focal length and still came out sharp, yet grainy. He was about 200 yards away and was not using any tripod. All hand held.

If i was shooting, it would have been at ISO 100 and in RAW mode so i can mess with things afterward.

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:47 PM   #9

I have the Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6. From my lack of experience I have been very happy with it.
Attached Images

photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote