Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2006, 5:32 PM   #21
NHL

Mrjoshua822 wrote:
Quote:
I ended up finding out how to adjust the 350D myself and now it's perfect. I may get an occasional out of focus shot "wide open" but it's under extremely close distaces with avery small DOF.
FYI (for other folks) - http://www.astrosurf.org/buil/autofocus/adjust.htm
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 5:57 PM   #22

Hi Mrjoshua822 / Paul
Quote:
PJ

I originally had the front focus complaint with my 350D with my Sigma 28mm 1.8 lens. Portraits were not especially sharp and conducting a few tests as seen here I discovered that it would front focus consistently. The focus object would seem quite "soft" whilst things slightly closer would be perfectly sharp. For example, if I focussed on the ears (or something behind the plane of their face) of my subject then their face and eyes would be spot on - otherwise it would look soft.

Contacting Canon revealled a substantial delay in returning the camera from repairs and depending if the camera was within tolerances, they might not adjust the alignment anyway. I ended up finding out how to adjust the 350D myself and now it's perfect. I may get an occasional out of focus shot "wide open" but it's under extremely close distaces with avery small DOF.

My other lenses (Tamron 24-135mm, 18-55mm kit) seem to be OK although the larger DOF might be masking any minor discrepancies but the 28mm is perfect compared to the original alignment.

How did you get one with your problem?

Cheers Paul
It seems that the focusing symptoms we had are quite similar. Butas I wrote in my previous post, I actually discovered that it seems the only lens which is "out" (i.e. front focusing) is the 50mm f1.8 prime. So I believe it is NOT my Canon 350D / Rebel XT which is out, but just the lens. I aim to exchange the lens at the shop I bought it from (for a properly focussing model) or get Canon to repair / replace my defective one.

The 50mm f1.8 is really quite out, also quite noticeable at e.g. f4 even, while I see now my other 2 (zoom) lenses are definitely sharper (in real life and tests). So I won't be fixing the camera.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 6:02 PM   #23

Hey, NHL Even if it were my CAMERA which was having focussing problems, I think I would only try the job of correcting myself if I was in a VERY desparate situation! But thanks for the link, very kind / useful of you. Interesting read!!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:47 PM   #24

I must admit I was a little aprehensive in tackling it myself but in the end it's not difficult although it is time consuming setting the camera up to test it after each adjustment.

I doubt I would have picked it up so quickly using the kit lens as it was most noticable with the shallow DOF when using the 28mm Sigma. Even with the Tamron it's masked quite a lot unless you're using the tele end and an isolated subject etc.

Cheers Paul
Mrjoshua822 is offline   Reply With Quote