Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2006, 4:42 PM   #11

With the type of shooting I do with my Canon Rebel I don't think the type of card makes a difference to me. I figure the speed of the camera will do the job.

I just came across a website which has 2GB High Speed Ultra II Compact Flash Cards for $85.94 + S/H, of course. by Sandisk. Looks like a good buy to me.

one question for all you guys. Does the speed of the card really effect anything with this camera? If not, why not just get the most for your money? Any feedback? thanks
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:48 PM   #12

I bought the cheapest CF card I could find.

The first one was a Kingston 1 gb card which I sold with another camera, and now I own a 2 gb Kingston I got for $104 US dollars at newegg.com.

Haven't missed a beat with it on my Canon 20D.

-- Terry

PS: I had a micro drive and it packed up on me :{

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:54 PM   #13
NHL

photo118 wrote:
Quote:
one question for all you guys. Does the speed of the card really effect anything with this camera? If not, why not just get the most for your money? Any feedback? thanks
Basically they start to level out at the top 10%: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699
(i.e. paying 50% or more to get less than 10% increase in performance is quite subjective)

-> and only if you shoot RAW and fill up the camera buffer!
If all you do is JPEG and shoot a small sequence I doubt anyone see a difference... :-) :lol: :G

BTW if someone bought faster cards in the hope of downloading faster - keep on dreaming! :blah:

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:12 PM   #14

NHL,

I would definitely pay twice as much for a card if it would speed up the download!

Specially with RAW files.

Downloading 100 RAW images is SLLLLLOOOOOW.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 9:30 AM   #15

Actually...faster cards do allow you to download faster...you have to use a fast card reader to download. Not all card readers are created equal. I have a Sabrentext. reader, a Sabrent internal reader, and a Stratitec external reader. All readers are USB 2.0.

From the fastest to the slowest:

1) Stratitec external reader

2) Sabrent internal reader

3) Sabrent external reader

Here are some benchmarks of readers and cards: http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 10:33 AM   #16

Terry. I have mine set to Raw+L. I don't know the difference of just the Raw setting alone. But, when I download from my canon rebel xt to my laptop via cables directly, it only takes about 1 second / pix to download. I will try shooting in RAW only and get back to you on the speed. Always nice to experiment.
photo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 12:01 PM   #17

I have a kingston 256mb and a a cheap end lexar 1. gig and have never had problems. Them work pretty well on my 350 D. Regards. Jaki.
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:22 PM   #18

...and for those who insist on purchasing stuff only from B&H...

2gb Extreme III - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

4gb Extreme III - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 7:45 PM   #19

"Ewok. Thanks for the tip about Costco.com. I already had one Sandisk Ultra II 1gb card and ordered two yesterday from Costco. If you aren't a member you just pay a 5% surcharge. You can't beat $67.99! Circuit City is running a big rebate and is $71.99 but you have to wait weeks for the rebate.

Thanks for the tip!"

Trique Daddi

Just an update. I recieved my cards from Costco today! I didn't pay extra for shipping and recieved thenm here in Florida after ordering them Sunday! I am very pleased.Hope this will help someone else.

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote