Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 3, 2006, 3:55 PM   #1

Guys, I need help. I'm wanting to buy either a Nikon D70s or a Canon EOS 20d. Can anyone give me opinion either way as towhich camera topurchase and why. Thanks a million.
nhinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2006, 4:16 PM   #2

Since you are asking this question in the Canon forum, my guess is you will be told to go with the 20D. If you read the reviews and compare the two, the 20D comes out on top in just about every aspect. I guess the next question would be what do you plan on using the camera for?

Dave Porter
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2006, 9:26 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I already have two 35mm film cameras and a point and shoot Olympus C-5050 digital camera. I will use this for hobby photography, nothing more. I'm 55 and want a good D-slr to use for a number of years to come.

"If I get the Canon and the kit 18-50 lense, what other lense should I get?
Noel C. Hinote
Tennessee, USA
nhinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 12:47 AM   #4

The 20D will not let you down for most situations. It is a well built camera with high quality pictures. I can't speak for the D70, but I'm sure it is a very nice camera also. The D70 is about $200 less than the 20D but as I said earlier, the 20D has some nice features. You said you already have other 35mm cameras, are they SLRs? If so, maybe you would want to stick with the same brand if the lenses will work with teh digital SLR.

As for which lens to buy, that will depend on what you want it for. The kit lens is a pretty good starter lens and you should be able to get a lot of use out of it. I currently have the kit lens and a Canon 75-300. Between these I get most of what I need.

Have you considered the Rebel XT? It has the same 8MP as the 20D with a few less features and a much lower price. I am using the original Digital Rebel and have been for over almost 2 years and I am very pleased with it. We are going to be buying either a 20D or 5D but we will keep the Rebel as a back up camera.

I think you will be happy with either system. Good luck on you purchase.

Dave Porter

headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote