Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2006, 4:31 PM   #1

How long till the prices start coming down on the 5D? I've been watching and waiting but haven't seen any downward movement. I realize that the camera is still relatively new but generally speaking, how long does it take before prices start dropping? Thank you.
skhori is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2006, 5:10 PM   #2

My experience has been that Canon prices don't drop much. So unfortunately you'll probably have to wait a good while before you see its price drop.

Last I knew Canon punished stores that under cut their suggested prices. I believe they help pay advertising for their products and they stop doing this if you undercut their prices. At least this is the story I've heard.

True or not, almost everyone prices Canon cameras the same. So it seem true.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 1:59 PM   #3

What is the best price you can find for 5D with USA warranty in US? I am not interested in the grey market camera.
What is the best all round lense for the 5D?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 5:54 PM   #4

The problem is if you'll get a reputable dealer. There are many really sleezy dealers who will get you to their store/web page by low-balling the price and then they'll scam you with overpriced excessories. And if you don't buy them, they'll claim the camera is out of stock and not sell it to you.

The most reputable place is B&H Photo and Video (www.bhphoto.com) and their prices are quite aggressive, but on occasion are beat by good places. I would check there first.

You can always try resources like:
http://froogle.google.com/
http://www.streetprices.com

and other price resource web pages. Just be careful... if the price looks too good, it probably is. That is why www.resellerratings.com is so handy.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote