Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:05 AM   #11

I have been using photoshop elements 3 for converting my raw files. May not be as good as raw shooter, but still does and pretty good job and I can do all my editing from one program. I am concidering upgrading to element 4 but haven't made that decision yet. If you are not a professional elements 3 ro 4 should be all you need anyway, neither one fell too far from the photoshop tree and both support raw and both do a pretty good job for all photo editing.

David
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:09 AM   #12

JimC, thanks for tips. I'll keep in mind.
Jay Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:16 AM   #13
Administrator

Here is the page on Adobe DNG (you'll see links to download the converter on the left hand side of the page). Rather than upgrade from CS to CS2, some users just convert their raw files to DNG instead.

http://www.adobe.com/products/dng/main.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 9:56 AM   #14

Jay Zero,
sorry, I didn't see the camera model down there at the bottom, my fault.

Yes, you are stuck.
Either get the DNG converter and convert the RAW file and then use CS or upgrade to CS2.

I'm with you, I think it sucks and Adobe should be given a talking to about dumping its customers like that. They can only get away with it because they are dominant in the market. And if that is the only reason you can do it, then its the wrong reason to do it.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 10:28 AM   #15
Administrator

Yea, it sucks.

But, it also sucks that raw is a moving target, with virtually no documentation from most camera manufacturers for their raw formats.

So, I place part of the blame with camera manufacturers for trying to keep these formats so proprietary (often using techniques that are designed to obscure the information in the files. making it tougher on developers to decode them, with that development cost being passed on to consumers).

You often see uinnecessary changes in byte offsets, tags used, etc., for no other good reason than to make them different from previous formats (IMO, anyway).

Competition is one thing, but some manufacturers are taking advantage of more users shooting in raw (both software and camera manufacturers).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 3:55 PM   #16

JimC,
I'm a software designed and coder, so I completely agree with all you've said. I've worked on programs just as complex as PhotoShop.

With that as the background, there is really no good reason why they couldn't update CS and CS2's raw converter. Even taking into account the unnecessary changes to raw formats (the 20D and Rebel XT share the same sensor. Why is their RAW format different?) It just don't believe it is that hard to support both CS and CS2.

I'm quite sure they share a lot of code and designed Adobe Camera RAW from the ground up to have the converters for each camera be "plugable". While it is a great sin that RAW formats change in such stupid and unnecessary ways, if Adobe can get support in CS2 then I believe there is no reason they couldn't get it into CS with so minimal effort that they should do it.

I fully believe they stopped for one and only one reason.
They value their time (the minimal time needed to get it to work in both places) over their customers (I can't believe it would take more than a couple of hours work, including testing.) Yes, I am saying they value their customers that little.

The only other option I see is that Adobe's programmers/designers are really bad and don't take into account things like the need to easily support an unbounded number of RAW formats. They quality of their software is high enough that I don't believe that.

Eric

ps. I do believe that RAW formats should be documented and freely available. I don't believe camera makers charge for their RAW formats or make enough money from them to actually make it worth actually charging for it. They should just document it and release it.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 1:30 AM   #17

Well hi all - I am new here and just bought a 20d today and I have Photoshop CS (not CS2, Cs3 etc) and cannot believe that there is not a way to see my .cr2 files.. and that Adobe will not provide a plugin so I can see them - only a plugin for cs4.

Am I wrong?
jimwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 7:01 AM   #18

jimwww wrote:
Quote:
Well hi all - I am new here and just bought a 20d today and I have Photoshop CS (not CS2, Cs3 etc) and cannot believe that there is not a way to see my .cr2 files.. and that Adobe will not provide a plugin so I can see them - only a plugin for cs4.

Am I wrong?
20d's raw files will process in CS. I used the combination for several years. 30d and 40d are another matter. But the 20d is supported.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2008, 11:34 AM   #19

Found it

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=2863

this works - i just tried it.
jimwww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2008, 2:58 PM   #20

no comment, sorry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote