Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 4, 2006, 7:30 PM   #1

1. Is there no way to be able to edit .CR2 RAW photos in Photoshop CS?

2. Adobe Camera Raw page (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cameraraw.html) says the program works _only_ with CS2 and newer. How is that possible? Photoshop CS is not _that_ old product!

Thanks.

--
350D
Jay Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2006, 7:57 PM   #2

It's true, I had to get CS2 when I got the XT. Glad I did, CS2 has many great advancements for photography and I only shoot RAW.
SlapNTickleJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 8:15 PM   #3

So the software is irretrievably obsolote in _2005_, while the program was released in 2003 - only because the manufacturer's management/coders are not willing to make it support theprevious version as well? Sounds stupid (...greedy) in my ear. What you think?

Old Feb 4, 2006, 9:41 PM   #4

Adobe is abusing their near monopoly position (well, technically I don't know what percent of RAW using photographers use PS, but I bet it is very high.) Any camera released after CS2 was put out will not be supported. Adobe anounced when CS2 was release that there would be no upgrades to Adobe Camera RAW for CS.

I fully and absolutely agree that they abandond their customers and it made a some people quite mad (me among them.) It was a pure money grab, and it looks like it worked.

Adobe is also quite bad at patching CS. I was able to produce macros that crashes PS, but they didn't care and never patched it. You'll notice that on their web page there is not a single patch to CS available and there never has been. Software that complex has bugs, I am certain of it (including one they admitted to, where it fails to properly utilize ram over 2G and is in fact slower!) I work at a world wide software company and they would never consider treating their customers like that.

You don't say what camera you are using. CS does support many cameras that produce .CR2 files, including the 20D.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:21 PM   #5

I use software called RawShooter to manipulate my RAW images (white balance, exp comp, etc.) and convert them to high quality JPEGs (or whatever) before editing in other software. There's a free version that's not very restricted.

http://www.pixmantec.com/
101Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:40 PM   #6

Yah, I use RAWSHOOTER as well, very nice program.

Then I might use Element 2.0 on it after.

That's the extent of it.

-- Terry
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:29 AM   #7
Administrator

Also, keep in mind that some manufacturers are even going as far as encrypting some of the information in their raw files now, making even harder on developers.

IMO, we all need to push the manufacturers to stop this nonsense.

For example, Nikon encrypts metadata related to White Balance in the raw files generated by some of it's models (D2X, D50, D2HS) now.

Sony does with some of it's models like the DSC-F828, and even Canon is guilty of it in the raw files generated by some of the non-DSLR models.

Canon started encrypting two blocks related to White Balance with the .crw files generated by the Powershot S60, S70, G6, and Pro1

I don't care if Adobe and manufactuers decide to "play nice". That doesn't solve it from my perspective. I could care less if Adobe is happy with the arrangements.

What if some bright young teenager comes up with a revolutionary new way to process data from sensors, and he or she doesn't have access to the Software Developer's Kits?

Perhaps they don't want to agree to the terms to get the SDK, or don't qualify as a "bonafide developer" (a choice of words that didn't sit well with me when Nikon started defending it's practice of encrypting some metadata).

Or, perhaps someone wants to develop a raw converter for a platform that an SDK unavailable for (think Linux, Solaris, etc.)

Then, what do they do?

Do they take the risk that they're not going to get into trouble over violating the Digital Millenium Copyright Act by decrypting the data (which was apparently Adobe's concern over the issue of Nikon encrypting metadata until they finallly reached a compromise with Nikon)?

Yet, you didn't hear any complaints from Adobe about Sony's encryption of the .srf files generated by the Sony DSC-F828. Ditto for encryption of some info in raw files generated by some models from Canon. Better arrangement perhaps? ;-)

Or, worse yet, do developers avoid working on converting the raw files entirely, stifling potential innovation and improvements with raw converters?

IMO, the only reason to encrypt metadata in raw files is to stifle competition.

If manufacturers think they've got a better solution with their software, fine. But, let the products stand on their own merits. Don't throw roadblocks in front of competitors by encrypting data.

We all end up spending more money for software, even if we don't own the cameras impacted over this kind of thing (although I guess software manufacturers could decide to price raw converters based on what camera you own). LOL

Developers have to spend time decrypting data, sorting through legal issues, etc., and that cost gets passed on to consumers.

http://www.openraw.org/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:18 AM   #8

eric s:

There's two line marks in the end of my opening post and below them 350D, which is the model have. Ie. Digital Rebel XT.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:45 AM   #9

Yea, RAW Shooter was the recommendation of DP magazine as RAW editer and I have tried it. My feeling was that adjusting the photos in Photoshop could be more familiar and simple anyway.

Yea, I think it'd be good to pressure the manufacturers (Adobe) to support at least previous versions as well. While moving to Creative Suite, you'd think that now the CS series has some integrity, but it really doesn't look like that.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 8:56 AM   #10
Administrator

Jay Zero wrote:
Quote:
Yea, I think it'd be good to pressure the manufacturers (Adobe) to support at least previous versions as well. While moving to Creative Suite, you'd think that now the CS series has some integrity, but it really doesn't look like that.
Well, to Adobe's credit, they did author DNG as a standard. There are pros and cons to it. But, it would be better than no standard at all (since each camera manufacturer tends to go their own way with raw files).

Also, you can convert your raw files to DNG, then use them with some older Adobe products. Some users take that route versus upgrading, even though it's an extra step in their workflow.

Don't overlook some of the other options on the market, either.

If you're running Windows, try the free Raw Shooters Essentials (as already menti0oned by others), or look at the Pro version.

If you're using the GIMP, the UFRAW plugin (based on David Coffin's dcraw.c ) also works.

Eric Hyman's Bibble Lite and Bibble Pro products are also worth looking into (available for Mac, Windows and Linux).

For a free product that lets you browse raw images without converting them first, , check out The FastStone Image Browser

Google's Picasa will also let you browse through raw files from most models.

Also, check out the "other raw converters" section on Dave Coffin's dcraw.c page

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote