Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:00 AM   #1

Default TTL Flash not possible with EOS-1Ds, EOS-1D, 10D, D60 &

Manual Flash only with the EOS-1Ds, EOS1D, 10D, D60 & D30. This information is a footnote from Canon's EOS System Chart. What exactly does this mean?
canon1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 20, 2003, 9:10 AM   #2

it means that the strobe will only fir in manual mode. no Through The Lens Metering. no auto functions. a "dumb" flash.

i take it you are refering to your strobe. which one is it?
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 2:44 PM   #3

Default TTL Flash not possible with

My main flash is a Metz 45 CT-5. I find it unbelievable that Canon would do that The flash works fine with my 35mm TTL Canona1. Are they trying to force everyone to buy a Canon Flash?
Old Mar 20, 2003, 3:12 PM   #4

no, even my sb-28 will not work on a digital nikon or kodak. it has to do with the sync with the imager. i'll be putting out for a sb-80Dx shortly too.

remember you have a mirror and imager. your not synching with a shutter anymore. the imager turns on/off. just a little more complex then before. welcome to the high tech toys.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 3:53 PM   #5

Ya, but doesn't it work in Nikon cameras with their D-TTL system?

I've just started researching Canon SLRs. Can someone help me with what is the problem being discussed here? I want to understand the limitations in the Canon cameras. I don't expect to do much flash photography, but this sounds like a serious limitation.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 6:00 PM   #6

this person has a metz strobe. metz claims that the strobe will work only in manual. this is the issue with all on camera slide on strobes that were manufactured for film cameras. the older strobes do not sync properly with the imagers. thus you now have as in Nikon- D-TTL
Old Mar 21, 2003, 2:50 PM   #7

sjms

Gotcha. Its a limitation on the strobe, not the camera. Thanks for clearing that up.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2003, 7:15 PM   #8

Default That was a quote from Canon's EOS System Chart

NOT from Metz. I haven't been able to get Metz to answer me regarding the cord I need.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 11:29 AM   #9

All shoe mount flashes should work with most digital SLR camera in manual flash mode, this means you have to calculate the F stop yourself, you must now the guide number of the flash (feet/meters) based on the ISO or ASA ex 132 on ISO 100, 180 on ISO 400 etc...). When you're taking picture with a single flshe head, using your lens to focus on the subject, you can determine the distance from camera to the subject. Take the guide number (besure to use the correct guide number base on the ISO of your film or your ISO setting of your digital camera)devide by the distance you will have the F stop, set the camera shutter speed as the synchonized/flash speed based on your camera manual instruction (read the specs section), set the lens F stop based on the above result, you are now in business. The most simple way to shoot in the flash manual mode is to use the flash meter if you are using more than 1 flash head.

The Canon DX flash series has a speical built-in circuit for the E-TTL flash on both still SLR and digit cam SLR, but sometimes this mode doesn't work on digitcam SLR with third mfg flash such as Metz> I suggest you call Metz support group and find down the facts, but I know Metz will work on this problem and have their new flashes series comparable with any digicam SLR brands.
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote