Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 8, 2006, 10:54 AM   #11

For birds, nothing is long enough, unless you shooting in florida. Which 500mm lens? you should stick 1.4xTC on it. Currently my longest lens is 400mm and even with 1.4xTC, it is too short, so I crop. That's why I would love if 20d replacement has 12MP, so I can crop.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 3:03 PM   #12
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hey peripatetic, have you read Alain Briots review of DXO optics - the raw converter you are using? Seems like an awesome Raw convertor.
Haha, preaching to the converted.

Yeah I'm really enjoying v3.5, works great for me.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 12:09 AM   #13

Good morning BobbyZ

I said the lens had a range of 500mm but its not a 500 prime(wish it was), its a cheapo Sigma 170-500. Its already slow so putting a converter on it will end its usefullness, but what it has shown me it that 500mm is not even long enough.

My next lens is definately the Canon 300F4 Is. Couple with a 1.4 converter I'll have 420mm 5.6 with IS. Should be quite a bit better then my current Sigma.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:01 AM   #14

The 300 f/4 is a popular flight lens for bird photography. It takes the 1.4xTC well.

I do crop my images some, as you can never get too close for bird photography. Well, that isn't really true. I have some images that really incorporate the scene and therefor I didn't want to get closer.

But to directly answer you question I try not to crop, its a question of what the destination of the image is. If its print, I will try to crop it for artistic reasons and then up sample or reduce as necessary. But I always find out what the desired DPI is and go from there.

To upsample a bird image is a bit of a challenge over some other subjects. The problem is actually the audience and not as much the subject. The audience demands very, very sharp, very detailed, perfectly color correct images. They know what the bird should look like and they demand it look that way! In other words, their standards are very high.
The quote I like to repeat from a good wildlife photographer I know:
If you want to be a good avian photographer you need 3 things:
1) The absolute best glass you can buy (both in quality and length)
2) patients
3) even more patients

Because good bird photography often involves waiting.

Eric

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 9:08 AM   #15

Thanks Eric, your post clearly highlights my biggest shortcomming. As much as I want better, longer glass, more patience should probably be first on the list.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 10:59 AM   #16

If you don't need IS, then you should also be looking at 400mm f5.6. 300 is too short IMHO. using cheap tamron 1.4xTC on 400, you will be at 560mm. Another cheaper option is Bigma.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote