Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2006, 3:48 AM   #1

I've just received a call from a publisher who was going to use my photos, that my photos are to small and can not be printed above A5 size without becoming fuzzy. I have sent them Raw files and corresponding 16 bit Tiff files. Does this sound correct to you? I was under the impression that a 20D picture could be printed up to A3 size without loosing quality.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:45 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Sounds like a load of hogwash to me.

If he'd said A4 was OK but he was having trouble with A3 I would believe he had a point.

But you can print on A5 at around 600dpi. I don't believe his process requires anything like that resolution.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 5:59 AM   #3

Thanks peripatetic, it seems I was actually in the wrong. I did a show jumping event where I sold 15*22cm prints and set my crop tool for that size at 350dpi and forgot to change it. Seems the publisher only checked the Tiff file and not the Raw file so hopefully the issue can be sorted out.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:15 AM   #4

By the way, does anyone know the maximum size you can print from a 20d at 300dpi? I know it seems like an obvious question, but I'm unsure of how to work it out.

Hey peripatetic, have you read Alain Briots review of DXO optics - the raw converter you are using? Seems like an awesome Raw convertor.

Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:32 AM   #5

I did some work for my company a year ago with my old 300d and printed 16x20 prints with it. Getting ready to do the same again this year with my 20D, 16x20's should be no problem, but not sure just how far you can go.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 9:41 AM   #6

JohnReid wrote:
Quote:
By the way, does anyone know the maximum size you can print from a 20d at 300dpi? I know it seems like an obvious question, but I'm unsure of how to work it out.

Hey peripatetic, have you read Alain Briots review of DXO optics - the raw converter you are using? Seems like an awesome Raw convertor.
The native size would be small at 300dpi. Just divie the pixel dimensions of your 20D image with 300 to get the size. You will need to upsample to get larger size. How big depends on what kind of print you talking about. Are you going to view it at nose distance or from across a room, it all depends?

bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:46 PM   #7
Super Moderator

using genuine fractals or SI pro, or something like that you can easily upsample to get the requisite pixels the editor would want.

i would also only send him the TIFFs..
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:35 AM   #8

Thanks everyone for the help. The shots are for picture booksof South Africa and the photos need to look good closeup, printed slightly larger then A4 size.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:46 AM   #9
Super Moderator

An 8x12 print from the 20D will give you 292dpi.
An 8x12 print from the 5D give you 364dpi.
an 8x12 print from the 1DsMkII you 416dpi.

An 12x18 print from the 20D will give you 195dpi resolution.
An 12x18 print from the 5D will give you 240dpi resolution.
An 12x18 print from the 1DsMkII will give you 277dpi resolution.

So I agree with Dustin, uprezzing from 292 -> 300ppi using photoshop or genuinefractals or similar will not be noticable for most purposes.

First ask him for the physical dimensions he wants, then just uprez in PS and send them back. If he then doesn't like the quality, which fankly would be a surprise, you'll have to buy yourself a 5D.

For fine-art prints from an inkjet printer you'll probably want at least 240dpi. The step up to 300dpi is not visible to most peoples' naked eye, though you could probably see the difference under a loupe. From a viewing distance of 1-2m 200dpi is probably sufficient.

For the book I expect you have enough resolution, but just don't fit into his workflow properly which demands 300dpi exactly.

If you don't like the quality you get from PS, then you can try Genuine Fractals and pxl Smartscale over at:

http://www.ononesoftware.com

I saw a comparative review somewhere (can't remember where) but PS, GenuineFractals, Smartscale all came out pretty good - fractals is very good for some types of images, PS is pretty good all-round, and Smartscale was a good complement for those images where the other two didn't perform as well; it was particularly good at retaining edge definition during uprezzing.

Trial versions are available for both, so you have little to lose by giving it a go.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 2:54 AM   #10

Thanks everyone for the information. I sent an uncropped photo to them and the resolution and size is ok, just. Any cropping whatsoever would require me to upsample, which brings me to my next question.

For bird photography, do any of you crop the photos or are you just able to get really close. Using a lens with a 500mm range from a hide, I still was not able to fill the frame with the birds I was shooting.