Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2006, 3:10 PM   #11

Thanks John!

Much like Boog, we've had some pretty dismal weather up here. It's been dark and cloudy so it's been tough to get out and really kick the tires. I'm hoping for this weekend though once the snowstorm has passed!

plarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:13 PM   #12

I got my 350d rebel xt on Jan-1-2006 and Live in Toronto, it's been 40 gray days with a few nice ones, but I maniged to take some nice pictures, I bought a book called Photo index idea by Jim Krause, the name says it all, I think it will help you with the (gray days) good luck to you both and happy shooting.
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 2:43 PM   #13

Can you tell me more About your new Rebel XT, Why you have considered buying it over the D50 and how is the KIT lens performs ?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 7:19 PM   #14

I chose it because of a couple of reasons... One being that in every review and comparison that I've read, the Rebel has beaten the D50 in nearly every aspect. The image quality is better IMO and you get 2 million more pixels for approximately the same price. The kit lens is wonderful! Don't get me wrong, it's not an "L" lens, but it is definately up to the task of taking wonderful pictures. For the price and the fact that it's a kit lens, it takes some amazing photos. If you check some of the reviews and see some of the side by side samples of images from the XT and then some from the D50, I think you'll see that the XT has a better image quality than the D50. I don't have any real problems with the camera. There isn't much about it that I don't like... The only thing that I wish were different is the dust issue with the CMOS, but you're going to have that problem no matter what DSLR you buy. So it isn't an XT issue alone. I also have the BG-E3 battery pack with it... The batteries still haven't died yet. I got the camera Thursday the 9th and my batteries are still holding up after 10.4 Gigabytes of pictures taken. So battery performance is amazing. Canon also has a HUGE range of lenses that work with the XT, which I'm sure the D50 does as well. I for one am 100% happy with my purchase, which is really odd for me... I usually nit pick things to death after I buy them, especially purchases of this magnitude. But I absolutely love this camera.

Here are a few pictures that I've taken with the kit lens. I'm no professional, it's just to give you an idea of pictures from a novice with the kit lens.

This one was after a snow that we got here last weekend... Snow don't come around here much.

Here's one at night... This one isn't that good because the wind was gusting around 25-30 mph and it was blowing the camera a little on my tripod causing . My aperature was off a little too because it was 32 or so degrees (F) out there and I wasn't thinking clearly. But it still turned out decently.

and here's one inside with a flash just to give you something else to compare to.

Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 7:24 PM   #15

Very nice indeed, can you send me a photo (full res - full size) to my email ?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 7:38 PM   #16

sure... just pm me the info
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 10:57 AM   #17

As you can see I am new here. I have shot film forever and I do have a inexpensive PS but I would like to get a dSLR. It appears that I am leaning towards Canon at the present time. I see reviews on the XT,20D and now the 30D. I take foto's in all types of situations from low light, to fast moving objects, and landscape so I need an all around camera. Would like to stick to 1200- 1500 max. What you you recommend without going off about numerous archieved threads and where do folks buy their equipment, getting good deals but also dealing with a company with a good reputation.(Like Boog)

Thanks for your time,

Jack:ak47:
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:05 PM   #18

blackjackdelta wrote:
Quote:
I take foto's in all types of situations from low light, to fast moving objects, and landscape so I need an all around camera. Would like to stick to 1200- 1500 max.
Jack,

First, what equipment are you looking to get for $1200-1500? Just a body? Body and what type of lens?

Second, what types of 'low light' shots are you looking to take? In what types of situations? Using flash, or just ambient light?

Third, what types of 'fast moving objects' - be specific.

These questions will help determine what features and lenses are a good fit for your needs. The landscape needs won't drive the decision as all 3 cameras with an appropriate lens will deliver high quality landscape shots. It's your 'low light' and 'fast moving objects' comments that need expounded upon to determine what body is appropriate and whether any solution will meet all your needs and fit within your budget.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2006, 12:29 PM   #19

Low light would be-twilight and dawn pictures of moving vehicles and aircraft. Indoors would be something akin to a indoor ride at Disney(POTC) with no flash.

Fast moving air craft and explosions. Basketball games indoors. Would like a standard lens and something that would be around 300mm to start with. Until I get comfortable shooting with a digicam, I do not want to put out more bucks on glass ans attachments.

Need place to buy that ships international.

Thanks for your time,

Jack

blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote