Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 7, 2006, 7:22 PM   #11

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
How 'bout (apart from our speculative guessing concerning the features of it...) we start a challenge toguess exactly WHEN the official / Canon press-release about this next model will hit the market....

my first guess is 20 Feb 2006 (yes we might be getting this close?!)
Great wishing Paul... Let's also guess what they will call it and the price.

I think the announcement will be on 2/23/06 and it will be called 25D. MSRP $1599

My crystal ball is too foggy on the features but I don't think they would want to lose the edge over pixels to Nikon. So my guess is it will be 12MP.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:19 AM   #12

Ok, harana, you're on! So here are my predictions also regarding what it's name will be and it's price.

called: 30D MSRP: I agree w U @ $1599 (and I'm sticking to my date of 2/20/06).

PS... my crystal ball is getting frozen as it's -10 degrees here.... but I really don't think they'll do 12MP, but rather in the 10's or 11's (because 5D has 12.8 already), as dustin said - product separation. I say 10.8 MP

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:28 AM   #13

sorry to be off topic, but what does "FF" mean ?? :?
snakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:51 AM   #14
Super Moderator

Full Frame, i.e. a sensor that is the same size as a frame of 35mm film. (24x36mm) = 864mm^2

The APS-C sensors are approximately 15X22.5mm = 337mm^2

The FF sensor covers substantially more area as you can see the 1.6 crop refers to the crop of the dimensions rather than the area. The area covered by a FF sensor is 1.6^2=2.56 times greater.

For comparison a typical digicam, my Canon SD500 for example, has a sensor of dimensions 7.18*5.32mm = 38mm^2, which is to say only about 11% the size of the 20D or 4% as big as a 5D sensor.

This is a big clue as to why the FF and APS-C cameras are so much more expensive. Small chips are cheap chips. The yields are much higher, and with the small chips you get hundreds on a wafer, with the large chips you get fewer chips on the wafer, and also the yields are lower.

Naturally cameras are priced according to both the cost and the demand, but I would not be at all surprised to discover that a chip for a small digicam costs $20 and one for a 5D costs $1000 or more for Canon to make.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 4:59 AM   #15

I rather have true 16 bit per channel color than more MP, better dynamic range would provide more detail without having to push your optics to the limit with the higher resolution.

The other thing to worry about after so much resolution cheaper lenses will begin to show defects and flaws the 1Ds MK II has show many 35mm lenses to be rather pathetic for resolution so if they keep pushing the MP higher that's just newer more expensive higher resolution new style digital lenses your gonna have to buy.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 11:52 AM   #16

I just hope that it has better AF, particularly in AI servo. There is too big a gap between 1dMk2 and 20D in regards to AF for tracking. Something with better AF, more MP than 20D and bigger RAW buffer would be great incentive to upgrade from my 10D.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 2:53 PM   #17

Just going to toss out some stuff. Even though I do a small camera site of my own, I don't focus on DSLRs on it, and I don't have a relationship with Canon reps. That being said, I did corner a rep not long ago and asked some key questions - he was trained in the art of silence well, but I'm very good at body language, and his ticks and jerks and uneasiness when I asked the right questions, SEEM to say...

30/35D (I think it'll be 35D).

10.3 MP 1.6X crop

No digic III (same II version as XT)

Thinner composite material - same as 20D but a little lighter in weightdue to mixture of the material.

Larger LCD (duh) Slightly better battery life (duh) Slight increase in buffer and speeds. Updated software.

Nothing earth shattering if I read him right, but as usual, one step up from the previous model. When drilled about a possible Rebel XT replacement, the jist of it SEEMED to indicate one by the summer, and that they were aware the hand grip bugs the heck out of some people and that may have been fixed. On top of it, there is still the rumor that a "jpg only" cheaper consumer DSLR from Canon is on the horizon in the $699 range. Plastic, small, light - kind of a Pentax *ist D on a small steroid or two.

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 2:35 PM   #18

atlantagreg wrote:
Quote:
SEEM to say...

30/35D (I think it'll be 35D).

10.3 MP 1.6X crop
Looks like you are pretty close based on the other post i just saw. Why would this be bettet than Nikon D200 with these kind of specs:?

harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 4:30 PM   #19

The only thing Nikons have is a better metering system as far as I've seen. Other than that they have a 2mp advantage, and a deeper buffer over the 20D. I dont think Canon has any real worries about it, becuase when you consider the people who buy $1,700 camera bodies, mostly have a good amount of high quality glass. When you consider that for my 300D I have almost $2000 worth of optics if I was to switch I would have to buy converters or new optics and that would cost me over $2000. to do that for a Nikon but for Nikon users its been a long wait for a camera like this so it will see well but I doubt many people will switch brands over a camera body.

On the other Hand I rather Caonon wait to but out the 30D and do am amazing job than rush it for the fact the D200 is out.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2006, 11:52 PM   #20

I hope this new Camera comes out soon, then the 20D will drop in price, I can then go from a 300d to a 20D (the XT is too small and feels plasticy with my bigger lenses on it). I have not heard anything really bad about the 20d so look forward to getting one some time. Im not all that excited by FF cameras as I photograph wildlife and sports more than anything else and like the fact that my 300mm lens is a 500plus lens, not willing to give up the reach.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote