Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 10, 2006, 12:05 AM   #21

Hopefully, i'll have the willpower to stick to my XT and wait until the 40D/45D comes out.

I also like the 1.6x , even though I don't really use a tele. The main reason is the equivalent property of using the "best part of a FF lens" - so corner performance is generally better than a lens made for the aps-c sensors.

I say "equivalent" because I know there are some out there that want to tell me how wrong I am for thinking that and it's people like me that give out wrong impressions of what's actually going on. Blah blah blah :blah:

more MP is always nice, so long as it doesn't downgrade any other performance factor (ie iso). I notice I do a lot of cropping with my prime lens. What I'd also like is to be able to frame shots with the LCD- so maybe there's something like a switch on the camera that'll lock up the mirror when you want to frame with the LCD and you can put the mirror back down when you want to look through the viewfinder. I think that'll be very useful and convinient when you're not too serious about the pictures. But if that were to happen I'd also like a flip out LCD
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 7:41 AM   #22

Latest "rumor" I saw was on a site from Austraila - 35D, 10mp(some have said 10.1) & a 1.3x crop factor, but that was NOT confirmed.

I am guessing 35D, 10.2MP, & 7fps(rumored also), 1.6x crop(although I would prefer a 1.3x)& I would imagine that Canon would change the noisy shutter to a quieter one, something I have not seen anyone mention. and, I would say improved noise at low light situations. All just a guess. Whatever it is, if not unreasonably priced, I will pick up so I can have a 2nd DSLR body(keeping my 300D for now).
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 3:35 PM   #23

Quote:
what is benifit of the 1.3X crop factor and what is the actual size of sensor in this case?

What would be top 3 ideal improvements on 20D which make new replacement camers (30D or whatever name) a justified upgrade?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 8:04 PM   #24

The sensor's probably bigger (hence a smaller crop)... don't know the actual size... but but having a larger sensor obviously has potential for better iso performance.

What I'm wondering is if an EF-S lens would work for a 1.3x my guess is that it wouldn't if it was optimized for 1.6x , which would result in a few annoyed customers that purchased the ef-s lenses so far. And if this were the case (efs not working on 1.3x), I'd seriously doubt Canon would make a replacment model with a new crop factor.

What are ideal improvements? Probably the same as always. The top two probably being MP count and overall speed (either in fps, buffer write out, etc)

The 20d is pretty tough to improve upon, but I'm sure Canon found a way.
BoYFrMSpC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2006, 11:32 PM   #25

When is the big tech convention when all the releases are shown off.

How long do we have to wait for the price to drop on last years stuff like the 20D?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:22 PM   #26

This tech show is called PMA (Photo Marketing Association) 2006 Annual Convention and Trade Show and happen from February 26 - March 1, 2006. I don't know how long for the price to drop on 20D. My guess will be a couple of months until the replacement get available in quantities.
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:21 PM   #27

The replacment for the 20D will besomething like the D200 from Nikon, 10-12 mp's,2.0-2.5 lcd, and a battery that will allow you to see the exact percentage of battery power left.

I would also hope they try to make it even faster than the 20D, with 6 fps, a larger buffer, and 6400 ISO.

Some nice side features might be 2 CF portsand wirerless compatability.

I also wish they would put in a larger sensor, but that would make it impossible to use EF-s lenses ( inclulding the great 17-85mm IS) , soIdon't think that's gonna happen.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:02 PM   #28

This is what I have captured as the top 3 improvements for the new DSLR to replace 20D from the different posts so far:

1. Extended ISO range from 50-6400 with lower noise

2. 10-12MP sensor

3. Increased dynamic range (I don't understnad this one though. What is it now and what number it should go to?)
Old Feb 14, 2006, 3:14 AM   #29

Dynamic range is looked over so much because people dont understand it as much as they understand MP, FPS and buffers but dynamic range is even more important those features about without the dynamic range you pictures would be limited in the color range they could display.

This is the best explanation of it Ive seen:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/hdr.shtml
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 6:08 PM   #30

Thank you VictorEM83! Excellent link on the "Dynamic Range".

So what is dynamic range for the 20D or 5D? :?