Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:41 PM   #31

It seems a lot of the speculation I'm reading here puts this new fantasy camera very close to the 1D Mark II N, which is a $4000.00 camera. 1.3 crop, 7 FPS, 6400 ISO (the Mark II N only goes to 3200 ISO) I just think Canon will keep the seperation between the replacement and the 1 series model a little farther apart, especially if you expect the price to stay around $1500.00 But then I'm just guessing, just the everyone else. I guess the first thing to find out is if Canon is really going to come out with a replacement for the 20D. I think there are still selling like hotcakes, and they are as good or better than anything the compitition has to offer. You know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it kind of thing.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:36 PM   #32

The best Buy rep at the store told me that he heard it was going to be a 10 MP at around $3000 +

Don't know how much he realy knows but that was the info from here.

I bought the 20 D later that day.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:08 PM   #33

RP33 wrote:
Quote:
The best Buy rep at the store told me that he heard it was going to be a 10 MP at around $3000 +
That doesn't make sense as 5D has 12.8MP and now selling for below $3000. I saw this intersting post on another forum:

"Good news for those still considering the purchase of a 5D, according to this leak there may be a 300Euro rebate available from 21 st February. Canon obviously taking action to keep sales going following whatever they plan to announce for PMA on that day.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1032&thread=17164570 "

It seems like that this new camera announcement could be replacement for 5D...:O
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:15 PM   #34
rey

Canon and Nikon will have to be more aggressive as traditional electronics companies (Sony and Samsung) jumps into entry level dSLR.

I can see Canon dropping the XT's price to the Nikon D50 level ($550 to 600 body) and then maybe the 20D to the $1000-$1100 level, and then introduce a new camera at $1600 with the 5D @ $2700.

Nikon's D70s is now down to $1000 at beachcamera.com with its $340 kit lens.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 11:10 PM   #35

Really I dont see want the fuss is about. Canon would be best to wait until photokina 2006. Also a 10mp by a Nikon in this price range has been long overdue and the 30D should be about ~10mp, 1.6x crop, and the same buffer as the 20D. Maybe a frame or two deeper also remember more MP means the buffer has to grow to store the same amount of shots so to add more means an even larger buffer.

My real point is I rather see mp take a back seat for a model year and get more dynamic range. If Canon or Nikon came out with a camera with 10-12 stops of range it on the avg joe would be like huh not more mp? But the benifit would be so worth it in the end.

Think of the help this would be to photographers that do weddings! Every wedding photographer would be buying that camera, not to mention people who shoot landscapes and areas with huge amount of contrast.

Also I would like to see better metering on Canon's cameras. Also its a huge deal now since ISO is the third option for better exposures on the fly now unlike film I'd the ISO displayed in the viewfinder and a live histogram would be a huge too.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 3:43 PM   #36

I agree! I don't exactly get why there trying to throw more mp's into the $1500 USD plus cameras because most of the people buying the those cameras would rather have 6400 ISO and 6 mp's then 10 mp'sand1600 ISO. It seems like there only doing it for bragging rights and avertising. To the average buyer, the D200 from nikon looks like a much better deal then the EOS 1D Mark 2 because it has "2 more mp's".

Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 5:10 PM   #37

YA but anyone looking at a 1 series camera knows there is a lot more than MP, shoot you can get the 5D and get 4 more MP for $800 less but you lose the 1 series body. as for the D200 you get 5FPS for 19 frames is not even close to the 8.5FPS with 40 frame buffer. Also you are at a 1.3x crop factor on the 1D MK II so you can get wider angle shots.
Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:05 PM   #38

MY POINT EXACTLY. Why is the megapixel race continued after the entry level DSLR?Most of those buying these camera's usually only want 6-10 mp's, depending on there needs. The averageconsumer P&S buyerwill look at something like the 1Ds m2 and say "wow. 16 megapixels!", and then walk upto the counter and ask to see the kodak C300. Meanwhile,most of there buyers willbe much more interested in the 8.2 megapixel1D m2that can do 8.5fpsvs. 4 fps on the 1Ds m2 for $3000 less.

Why are they trying to impress the low end P&S buyers?
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 6:46 PM   #39

Well there is a reason for the 1Ds MK II its to be able to take on medium format film in the studio and to push DSLR into the hands of many photographers that resisted digital technology because it was inferior when in fact an 8mp camera is just as good as 35mm film if not better in some cases but there is no reason to spend a large amount of money for as good as 35mm film when most pros are using medium format. So the 1Ds MK II did its job.

Now Canon has a problem only the best lenses work good with the 1Ds MK II because of its high resolution most lenses cant handle 16mp of resolution and the few that can don't have much headroom. So Canon has two courses it can take to better the 1Ds MK II. I like both and would like to see them do both. On the other hand I want the to make the 1st a standard on all the camera sensors though.

1st better dynamic range AKA 12-24 bits per color channel in raw user selectable in 4 bit intervals so you have 12, 16, 20, and 24 bit mode because not all pictures need 12 stops of dynamic range most people would save file space by going lower like 12-16 but when something amazing with a huge range of colors there is major benefits to 24 bit mode.

2nd a new lens system EOS-HD lenses because standard film lenses are maxed out it would give Canon more room to attack the medium format base as it has started with the 1Ds MK II. The real advantage to starting a new lens system now is when consumer camera hit 16mp Canon will be ready. And if you doubt consumer camera will hit 16mp you forget mp sells and most people will buy it when it has a bigger number. Granted it will be 5+ years down the road but it will happen, there will be a major breakthrough in the next 3 years to make silicon wafers cheaper. Thus larger sensors will be cheaper and if your lens system is ready to roll for that you have a huge lead and a huge install base of EOS-HD lenses ready for the next series of bodies.
Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:04 PM   #40

I am sorry to get into this guessing game again. Looks like it will be named 30D and will have 1.6X crop factor...:evil:

Now I also read somewhere that Nikon is saying they will never have FF DSLR because it does not fit digital world. FF is a relic from 35mm film camera world...:angry:

Does that mean Canon will be alone in the FF world. If that is the case how far would it go? Is it wise to buy a FF camera at this time...
harana is offline   Reply With Quote