Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:19 PM   #41

harana wrote:
Quote:
I am sorry to get into this guessing game again. Looks like it will be named 30D and will have 1.6X crop factor...:evil:

Now I also read somewhere that Nikon is saying they will never have FF DSLR because it does not fit digital world. FF is a relic from 35mm film camera world...:angry:

Does that mean Canon will be alone in the FF world. If that is the case how far would it go? Is it wise to buy a FF camera at this time...
I think that is a major mistake by Nikon. with a msaller sensor size they are limiting there resoultion even more. Think about it an amazing lens with a full 35mm frame can do about 16-18mp of resoultion. If you only use the center of the lens and not worry about the edges your gonna lose even more resoultion so I dont see Nikons going over 14mp. If they stick with there 1.5x form factor.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 8:47 PM   #42
rey

My guess is Nikon will eventually use FF. I'm not up to speed with Nikon's product suppliers, but my guess is they cannot find a FF CCD supplier at the right price at this time. While for Canon, it is easier to make a FF CMOS sensor.

Do you guys know who Nikon uses as their CCD supplier for their camera? Is it Panasonic / Matsushita? I think Canon make their own CMOS sensor, and it is cheaper to make a bigger CMOS sensor. This could be the reason Nikon does not yet have a FF camera. Just my guess.
rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 9:11 PM   #43
rey

Okay, I just read somewhere that Nikon uses Sony as their CCD supplier. I wonder if Sony has a FF CCD in the works. And if they do, will they let Nikon use it considering Sony wants to get 1/4 of dSLR market with their Konika-Minolta purchase.

I'm sure Nikon has a plan that doesn't include Sony's CCDs.
Old Feb 19, 2006, 5:58 AM   #44
Super Moderator

In a recent March edition of a UK magazine, in an advertising slot mixed with other Canon cameras, there is a photo a camera labelled 30D with an EF-S 17-85 attached, so it's definitely a 1.6 crop.

These mags hit the newstand a couple of weeks early.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 7:48 PM   #45
rey

If the rumors are right, we should see a 30D announcement on Tuesday, because Monday is President's Day in the US. There's also that 5D rebate rumor that some put between $500 and $200.

But if the 30D is announced, do you guys think Canon will discontinue 20D? Or keep selling them at a lower price? Canon fazed out the Digital Rebel when the Rebel XT came out.

Adorama is also now selling the 20D for less than $1200 w/ the kit lens.

Old Feb 19, 2006, 11:54 PM   #46

Current price on a 20D @B&H as of 2/19/06 - Body Only - 1,141.95
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:20 PM   #47

20D will be discontinued and the name of it's replacement will be released 24th Feb. A very reputable chain of camera stores in Australia has quoted this on their website.

http://www.ccccamerahouse.com.au/sto...?idProduct=652
lenni1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 9:52 PM   #48

harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2006, 10:00 PM   #49
rey

Thanks for the info about 20D being discontinued. I wonder how long before the new model hits the market, and how long before the 20D's are completely sold out. Also, it'd be interesting to see what price the 30D/35D starts at. My guess is $1500 with the 18-55 kit lens. But I'm hoping Canon will announce an 17-70 USM (non-IS) lens for $350, maybe to replace the 24-85mm.

I read somewhere here that an XT with bigger body may be out by summer. That would be awesome also. I think Canon dropped the ball on that one. They probably surveyed Japanese women to find out what size the XT's body should be.

So this is the week Canon and Nikon show their cards. It'll be an exciting week, even for someone like me, who's just hoping the 20D come down in price when the new stuff are announced.

Old Feb 20, 2006, 11:05 PM   #50

I asked the following question, to the sales person whom confirmed that the 20D would be dicontinued,"what would be a fair price to buy an outgoing 20D" and his reply was to take 30% off the regular price. It's rumoured that the "new" camera will be better and cheaper than the exisiting 20D. I told him that I found that hard to believe.
lenni1969 is offline   Reply With Quote