Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 21, 2006, 1:55 AM   #51

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/index.asp
jonathan1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 2:28 AM   #52

Thanks for the Link Jonathan1011, very interesting, although as they say, after 1.5 years of the 20D, the upgrades are hardly spectacular. There are just TOO many new cameras coming out for the sake of profit IMO. We are definitely seeing a slowdown inthe pixel race in favour of images quality though.

The article below seems to show the way ahead....HDR (High Dynamic Range) sensors...exciting times ahead.

http://www.cybergrain.com/tech/hdr/

Will they upgrade the 1ds MKii?

Cheers,

Nick
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 3:59 AM   #53

Well it seems the EOS Canon 30D is officially out today... check out this link: http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...id=7-7891-8214

Earlier in this thread I had said I expecteda 20 Feb release and that it would be called 30D. I guess I was quite close about that.

The biggest surprise to me is that Canon seem to be using the same 8.2mp CMOS sensor (or at least very similar). Of course it's a good / great sensor, but I'm surprised that in 18 months they didn't make something good even better...! I guess maybe as peripatetic said, Canon realised most of us would rather have lower noise at 8mp than higher noise at 12mp! Still I would have thought they'd come up with a 10mp.

Canon's Digital Rebel XT / 350D and 20D (and I guess now 30D) have balanced very good low noise control at ISO's of 1600 and above with only mild loss of detail. I get many good photos at ISO 1600.

Well I guess we'll see more information about the 30D on various websites soon! It seems the 30D will be priced below the Nikon D200, as the 30D is expected to retail at US$1399 the aforementioned website says.

But for now I'm just TOO curious about new Canon LENSES!!!!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:43 AM   #54
rey

It seems like a lot of these 30D improvements can be pushed to the 20D with a firmware update. Is Canon big on firmware updates?

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 9:45 AM   #55

30D ?? Can you call it an upgrade, I don't think so !?
Idan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:08 AM   #56
Administrator

harana wrote:
Quote:
I am sorry to get into this guessing game again. Looks like it will be named 30D and will have 1.6X crop factor...:evil:

Now I also read somewhere that Nikon is saying they will never have FF DSLR because it does not fit digital world. FF is a relic from 35mm film camera world...:angry:
I've never seen Nikon say "never" (although I do recall reading things like "no plans at this time", pointing out their commitment to the existing APS-C size sensor and DX lenses designed for this sensor size).

Never is a very long time. ;-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:22 AM   #57
Administrator

P.S.

The product information isn't shown on all of the Canon web sites, yet. But, here is a link to information about the new EOS-30D on the Canon Europe Site:

Canon EOS-30D

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 11:59 AM   #58

Thanks Jim for this link! I had looked for it earlier today (this morning 21 Feb 06) on Canon's USA and Europe websites, but couldn't find anything... (maybe they updated it in the meantime.. I'm 2 hours ahead of GMTso ahead of quite a bit of the world in terms of "release date / business hours times"! :-)

Well... it's not the most exciting upgrade / update, I'll have to say that honestly- but still I think it is a good camera, and am sure it will please many new-gadget-hungry owners soon.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:36 PM   #59

IN some ways I have to disagree. I think it's a great update. You get the larger 2.5 inch viewer andthey have finally come through with a "spot" meter, (which many have complained about). These 2 things are pretty good to me, since the price is actually lower than when the 20D was introduced. You also get faster start up, more ways to wake the camera up, plus a few other handy features. I like the fact you can set the ISO in 1/3 step incriments and see it in the viewfinder. Again, not bad for not much price increase. Just my 2 cents worth. I'm still shooting my 300D with it's lusy flash exposure. I just can't afford either one now. Oh well! Lou
LLMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2006, 12:45 PM   #60

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Earlier in this thread I had said I expecteda 20 Feb release and that it would be called 30D. I guess I was quite close about that.
Paul, You win with better guessing the name and date of 30D release..

I am really disappointed with 8.2MP on 30D. I am going to start a new thread today to understand why I should buy 30D and not chaeper 20D...
harana is offline   Reply With Quote