Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 6, 2006, 6:59 PM   #1

I am hearing some rumors about new DSLR entry from Canon. I don't know if it will be called 30D or some other fancy name...:sad:

Rumor is that it is in response to Nikon's D200 release. Love to hear any details on it. Like what features, what size sensor, etc? I hope it is at least 12MP. Full 35mm sensor will be fantastic...:-)
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:31 PM   #2
Super Moderator

last time..

IT WILL NOT BE FF.

it will be APS-C sensored with something in the 10.8-11.something megapixel range. it will not be as many as the 5d so they can keep product seperation.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:52 PM   #3
NHL

Hards80

Be a little more adventurous - IMO, it'll be at least 12.8Mp!
(Sony already has a 12.8Mp APS-C sensor... )
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:53 PM   #4

What will be advantage over current 20Dif new camera isnot FF and just in the 10MP range...:?

Why wouldI want to spend more money on it...:shock:
Old Feb 6, 2006, 7:56 PM   #5
NHL

harana wrote:
Quote:
What will be advantage over current 20Dif new camera isnot FF and just in the 10MP range...:?

Why wouldI want to spend more money on it...:shock:
Same reason folks moved from the 10D to the 20D (a little bit here and there... of improvements)! :blah:
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:04 PM   #6

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Same reason folks moved from the 10D to the 20D (a little bit here and there... of improvements)! :blah:
Not very convincing for me to spend extra money on it. Will have to see other compelling reasons like may be lighter body, really low on noise, better low light operation, better and faster focusing, etc.
Old Feb 6, 2006, 8:10 PM   #7
Super Moderator

sorry NHL, i like the err on the side of caution, that way, if they do go 12.8 i will be excited, rather than expect that and then be let-down.. hehe plus i find that the least adventuresome guesses are usually the closest :blah:

there are other improvements that i would like, and expect to see, like more ISO stops, hopefully one of them being iso 50. a larger lcd screen, etc.

harana, the 20d will continue to be a great camera no matter what the 30d does, so if you want to grab a good deal on a camera, one can be had on a 20d. it will do everything you ask of it (probably more!)

dustin
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 4:15 AM   #8
Super Moderator

Gazing into my crystal ball...

APS-C sensor.

More megapixels .... 10-12, but I hope they don't mess up on noise. If we lose usable ISO1600 I'd rather stick with 8Mp!!

Bigger LCD.

Yes, probably ISO 50 extension, maybe ISO6400 extension too, depending on the next point.

It may well be the first camera to get a new digital processor. DigicIII?

Following from that - can they extend the dynamic range?

Bunch of extra silly JPG modes no-one will use.
Probably a dedicated print button no-one will use.

I'm much more interested in what they decide to do on the lens front:
* Will they decide to do an EF-S L?????
* Will they come out with some new high-resolution L wide-angle lenses for 1D/5D?
* Will they release an EF-S 18-200 IS?

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 5:44 AM   #9
NHL

harana wrote:
Quote:
Not very convincing for me to spend extra money on it. Will have to see other compelling reasons like may be lighter body, really low on noise, better low light operation, better and faster focusing, etc.
Lighter (or smaller) body is only a preference - personally a lighter body on a longer/heavier lens 'feels' quite awkward and unbalanced. Smaller body also makes it harder to cram in a larger LCD or wheel/buttons, IMO an ergonomic crisis...

Low on noise - not everyone shoots in the dark! I agree with peripatetic however that increasing dynamic range, which is more useful, also marginalise the noise issue

Better low-light and faster focus - Well all Canon lenses have the AF motor inside the lenses so I'm afraid the focus speed will only vary with a lens change not a body change a' la Nikon (here too the AF-s lenses with internal motor focus faster which is not any different than the Canon USM...). I agree with better low-light operation however, Minolta can focus with AF mirror lenses smaller than f/5.6, so does the 1D series why don't they put this capability in lower end camera?
IMO they should resurrect the eye point AF selection like that of the 7E @ a minimum :idea:
Old Feb 7, 2006, 3:45 PM   #10

Hey peripatetic I think your crystal ball comes from the same gypsy trader that I got mine from. Your thoughts and hopes / dreams / expectations are very close to mine!

However I also like to err on the side of caution, ala dustin style. Megapixel increase isn't the most important thing they could do IMHO. However NHL, if your adventurous spirit is right, we'll all be happy with 12.8MP! :-)

I currently have a 350d / Rebel XT and am v thankful for what it can do (and still trying to improve what Ican't!)

For me most important and what I hope Canon will do with 30D or whatever it's gonna be called (a lot to agree with peripatetic), MY COMMENTS IN UPPERCASE:
Quote:
Gazing into my crystal ball...

APS-C sensor. ALMOST SURE
Quote:
More megapixels .... 10-12, but I hope they don't mess up on noise. If we lose usable ISO1600 I'd rather stick with 8Mp!! AMEN!

Bigger LCD. HOPEFULLY

Yes, probably ISO 50 extension, maybe ISO6400 extension too, depending on the next point. I'M REALLY NOT SURE 6400 WILL COME IN...

It may well be the first camera to get a new digital processor. DigicIII? I THINK MOST OF US ARE (STILL) HAPPY WITH THE PERFORMANCE OF THE DIGICII, BUT IF THEY WANT TO UPGRADE, WHO OF US WILL COMPLAIN!

Following from that - can they extend the dynamic range? DEFINITELY... IF POSS BUT EVEN THE5D SHOWED US THAT A CHANGE IS POSSIBLE, BUT HARD PRESSED...

Bunch of extra silly JPG modes no-one will use. I'M SILLY ENOUGH TO OCCASIONALLY USE / SELECT SOME OF THESE..
Quote:
Probably a dedicated print button no-one will use. ARGHHHHH..

I'm much more interested in what they decide to do on the lens front: EXACTLY! MY THOUGHTS WHEN I WAS EATING MY TEA THIS EVENING...
Quote:
* Will they decide to do an EF-S L????? HOPE SO! WOULD BE GREAT IF A ZOOM AROUND 17MM - 70MM... BUT IS THAT POSSIBLE?
* Will they come out with some new high-resolution L wide-angle lenses for 1D/5D? I'M NOT INTERESTED IN THIS AT ALL (AT LEAST NOT YET)
* Will they release an EF-S 18-200 IS? THIS WOULD REALLY BE A DIRECT CHALLENGE AGAINST THE NIKON'S 18-200MM OFFERING...

Well there you go that is my 2 cents worth... in the end we'll all just have to wait and see.

How 'bout (apart from our speculative guessing concerning the features of it...) we start a challenge toguess exactly WHEN the official / Canon press-release about this next model will hit the market....

my first guess is 20 Feb 2006 (yes we might be getting this close?!)

(for some more reading, see this link: http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...ns_eos30d.html).

cheers all... and happy procrastinating!!

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote