Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:53 AM   #1

Hey guys.

I just got my XT last Thursday and apparently I went somewhere to take pictures that was a really dusty environment. I have a pretty good idea where it was. Anyhow, I've got dust all in the CMOS, the mirror, the focusing screen/viewfinder. I've tried the "bulb" method of cleaning it like the manual says to do, but no luck.. Those things don't blow enough air to blow anything away, much less something with a static charge on it like the dust inside the camera. So does anyone know where I could take it to get it cleaned professionally? We don't really have any professional camera stores here. There IS a Ritz/Wolf Camera store about 45 minutes away from here. It's really small, but do you think that they would have the tools and the know how to clean it? Where do you guys take yours to get it cleaned.... It's so disappointing to look through the viewfinder and see all of this dust and particles through the viewfinder, then it's heartbreaking to see some spots in a picture (usually anything above f/8.0. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.... I've come to the conclusion that I should start changing my lenses with the body facing down isntead of up to try to minimize the amount of dust that gets in there. And instead of taking the lens off after every use and putting the body cap back on to leave the lens on until I want to change it out to the next lens and to change them out as quickly as possible. This is a new thing to me as I never had this problem with my 35mm SLR, but I think it will go a lot smoother when I get it cleaned. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 12:03 PM   #2

Ritz will not clean it at the store, but they will send it to an authorized Canon service center. Last I inquired, it was $100 for this service...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 5:56 PM   #3

Assuming you aren't carrying around a very heavy lens, don't worry about the lens mount. Just leave the lens on all the time. That will save you a lot of dust. And definitely change it with the lens tilted down. Won't stop the wind, but it will help with falling dust.

For the dust problems I've had, a blower ball has worked well. But you might have a lot mroe on there than I've ever gotten.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 8:08 PM   #4

Just curious . . . would compressed air (I use it cleaning inside my CPU) work? If not, why?
Steve
BrierS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:44 PM   #5

Don't use canned air! It has propellants that can damage the sensor.

You can get more serious blowers that have foot pumps which may or may not help. Not sure where I last saw that but you can just google it and find one. If you don't want to use a service, you can buy cleaning solution and swabs but if you damage your sensor you will end up with an expensive repair that is not under warranty. I have not done it yet on my camera, but it doesn't look too difficult. Just need steady hands and a strong stomach...

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:48 PM   #6

NO
I can't say it strongly enough.
Absolutely do not use compressed air.
That air can contain a liquit propellent that you don't want to get into your camera.

Everything I've read has said this is a bad idea. I do not recommend it.

Eric

Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:17 AM   #7

I know you must be frustrated!You have made an excellant choice selecting a camera and no doubt you made sacrifices to get it. If you don't feel confident cleaning yourself make sure to get it to a reputable service. I would rather part with $100 than ruin a $1000 camera. Your investment is worth it!

Good luck Boog and after you solve it let us know how you worked it out!

Happy Shooting!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 6:46 AM   #8

Thanks a lot guys! The "bulb" blower I tried was one of the real cheap ones that comes with a "lens cleaning kit". I've had it forever and it very possibly could have had dust inside it when I used it to clean the thing the first time. I did actually notice more dust after I cleaned it than before. Someone suggested a "Rocket Blower" costs around $11.00 Plus shipping. Most of what I've read about them have yeilded positive results. And if that doesn't work, I've been recommended to try one of the Copperhill methods and products to try and clean it with... This is obviously going to be a last resort... If the blower doesn't work (it'll be a week or so before I'll actually get it ) and if it takes 3 - however many weeks to send it off to clean, then I'll order one of those copperhill kits and try it myself. I'm really skeptical about doing that, but I don't really want to spend another month without my camera... I just got it... I'd almost rather be out shooting and deal with the dust spots in photoshop rather than send it off for a month without being able to shoot....

Thanks for all of the help guys!!! I really appreciate it!
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:32 PM   #9

I agree with you. I'd rather be shooting than be without it for awhile.
I've one of the more powerful blower balls and it works well for me (I also use it to remove dust from my lenses.)

If you're careful and gentle, using a cleaning device to clean the sensor isn't that bad. You should be nervous about doing it, then you'll be more careful. But it isn't that hard. Just use something that won't leave lint behind and don't really "push" as much as gently stroke it. You want it to glide across it.

Eric
Old Feb 13, 2006, 7:20 PM   #10

bigboyhf wrote:
Quote:
Ritz will not clean it at the store, but they will send it to an authorized Canon service center. Last I inquired, it was $100 for this service...

H
You were pretty spot on hf... I went by there today after work and they said that they'd send it off to their "Tech Center" and it would cost somewhere around $60...

Plus it would take about 6 weeks for them to do it... :shock:

So, I'll stick with my normal regimen and never go to Ritz/Wolf again.... LOL.. I hate that place...

I'm going to try one of those "Rocket Blowers" or whatever they're called first and then see what happens.