Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:15 PM   #1

Any reason why I get this message that says error 99. I use two film lenses on my new rebel xt. One is a canon 28-85 which I never get this message and the other one is a sigma 70-300 and that is when I get this message, when I use the sigma. Not all the time, but most. If I get a digital sigma lens will this continue.

Any ideas?

thanks

Bg
picturethis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:43 PM   #2

picturethis62 wrote:
Quote:
Any reason why I get this message that says error 99. I use two film lenses on my new rebel xt. One is a canon 28-85 which I never get this message and the other one is a sigma 70-300 and that is when I get this message, when I use the sigma. Not all the time, but most. If I get a digital sigma lens will this continue.

Any ideas?

thanks

Bg
The sigma might be too old to be used currently with the Camera. The XT is a newer camera. What all of this means is this.

Sigma can possibly "rechip" the inside chip to be more compatible, or you can purchase a newer Sigma lens.

I own the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX HSM APO lens and it rocks!

-tlmiller10
Tim Miller Photography
http://tmillerphoto.com
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 1:06 AM   #3

I have been looking into new lenses and the lens you mentioned was one I have been considering, especially since the canon lens is a lot more expensive. I have been shooting some hockey pics and they have not been too nice. Do you think this lens would help on the quality of my pics? I usually shoot pics of my kids playing, not NHL.

Thanks for your reply

Bg
Old Feb 13, 2006, 11:46 PM   #4

picturethis62 wrote:
Quote:
I have been looking into new lenses and the lens you mentioned was one I have been considering, especially since the canon lens is a lot more expensive. I have been shooting some hockey pics and they have not been too nice. Do you think this lens would help on the quality of my pics? I usually shoot pics of my kids playing, not NHL.

Thanks for your reply

Bg
The Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX HSM APO or the new DG (digital version, both work flawlessly on the 10D, Rebel, Rebel XT, and 20D and up).

Great lens... I can't say enough about it. It's a TANK... huge, bright and heavy. But worth every penny I paid (650 used! What a steal!)

A very good alternative to the Canon 70-200 IS or non IS versions. They rate a 10 usually, I'll rate the Sigma a 8.5-9.0.

For hockey (Havn't shot any, but I know people who do). You'll want 2.8 lens or better. Bump the ISO to 400 or higher, use 2.8 and nothing else... and hope for the best.

There's also the Canon 85mm 1.8 prime. It's very sharp, good color and contrast and it's a steal. About 300.00 dollars if I remember correctly. If you have decent seats or allowance to wander in the rink, you might get away with it up at the glass.

-tlmiller10
Tim Miller Photography
http://tmillerphoto.com
tlmiller10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 8:20 PM   #5
spy

error 99 is a comunication error with the lens. I shoot with a 20d and recently rented the sigma 120 - 300 2.8 lens. As soon as I put the lens on, the error code came up. I took the lens off and cleaned the contact points. The error didn't come back but I lost a lot of great pictures because the lens refused to focus.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:28 AM   #6
Super Moderator

And alas this is the downside with using 3rd party lenses.

I have a Sigma lens myself, but it is not unreasonable to have a prejudice against non-Canon lenses for this reason. I'm fairly confident that no matter what Canon body I may use in the future my EF lenses will continue to function with it.

My Sigma lens? Who knows - I hope so, and perhaps they will for a 5 year period or so, beyond that I frankly doubt it. I was aware of this when I purchased the lens however, so I won't get too upset when it happens.

I have little doubt that it's Canon who periodically manages to come up with an way of making old Sigma lenses incompatible, but nevertheless it is a factor to consider when making a lens purchase.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:10 PM   #7
djb

It's not just 3rd party lenses. I have had err99 happen twice using my Canon 100-400mm zoom. Had to reseat the lens. Unfortunately these errors seem to appear at the most critical shooting times.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 12:35 AM   #8

I'm strongly considering the Sigma 70-200 EX lens and now I'm a little worried. The canon is a bit out of my range and I here great things about this Sigma as a replacement for the Canon. With this Sigma film lens I have,I'm getting the error 99 almost always, especially indoors. Outside it seems to work a little better, just a little. So the big question is, should I just go for the Canon and feel guilty, pay the price, sell my dog, and do without a wife and enjoy the lens or NO????? What would you guys do? Peripatetic you seem to know your cameras, would you still buy a Sigma lens over a Canon lens? I know the big issue is cost between the two. But sometimes buying the better of the two can actually save you money on the long run. Sometimes!

Thanks again,

Bg
Old Feb 16, 2006, 2:33 AM   #9
Super Moderator

It will work with your current camera. Also Sigma puts a 5 or 6 year warrantee on their EX lenses, so if you upgrade your camera and it stops working in that period then you will very likely be able to get it re-chipped for free.

The optical quality of the Sigma EX is usually very close to the Canon L, but I would say in every other respect I'd rather have the Canon. It's all down to your personal marginal utility in those other factors in which the L is better.

The last lens I bought was a Sigma 12-24 EX.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2006, 7:22 AM   #10

IMHO, I wouldn't worry too much about buying the Sigma 70-200 2.8. This is one of their highest rated lenses and they just invested in rolling out a DG version (additional coatings on the lens to reduce digital flare - can't say if it works or is just a marketing gimick). But, bottom line this has got to beone of their top selling lenses for the Canon mount. So, even if Canon comes up with a way to cause the lens to not function on a future body I'm willing to bet within the next 10 years Sigma will re-chip the lens. I'd be more worried about buying consumer grade glass than the EX line. I think Sigma will stick by the EX line and re-chip.

I will also add that the Error 99 is not limited to third party glass. I'm not even sure if it's necessarily just a lens issue either. I received the error this past weekend - coincidentally also with the 100-400L.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote