Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 12, 2006, 10:42 PM   #1

20D wait or go ahead and buy now?

I want one but if I can save a little by waiting a short time I would wait.

Anyone have a good place to get one and all the set up too?
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:29 PM   #2

I bought a 20D when it first hit the market. I would do it again in a second. The camera is fantastic. Spend the money and get the 17 to 85mm lens.
JOHNPHINNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2006, 11:43 PM   #3

It depends what you mean by short time. If you wait 3-4 months, you MAY be able to pick up the camera for a little less, but remember: you can't wait forever, and if you continue to wait for the best deal, you may never buy the camera.

The best lens for the20D is theEF-S 17-85mm IS lens, it's the best standard zoomEF-S lens.
Homer J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2006, 12:37 AM   #4

I bought my 20D last weekend from Circuit City for $1349 with the kit lens. They were price competitive (matched their own web price in the store) and offered extended warranty options. I considered waiting also but just didn't want to miss further opportunites to use the 20D. I found 1gb Ultra II cards on Costco.com for $59.99 (no membership-%5 fee). I knew the lens I wanted wouldn' change much in price for a while so I ordered the 70-200mm 2.8 USM Canon L lens (I shoot sports and outdooors a lot-you may not need that type of lens). My next purchase in April will be a 580EX flash. I use the same gear at the studio I work for and just love it. I will add other lenses to fill the gaps as I go.

Just weigh the possibilities and settle on what is best for you and your situation. This kind of equipment is going to give you great service for quite sometime.This forum and a few specific contributors have been invalueable in avoiding costly mistakes and speeding up the "learning curve" for me.

Good luck RP33 with your decison! Thanks for all of the help to everyone!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:15 AM   #5

I bought my 20D back in December and I absolutly love it. I have seen pro use this camera way beyond my current ability so the 20D should be good for me for a long while. I have learned it's not so much the camera equipment as it is the person useing the camera.

Mike
mdrums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 10:33 AM   #6

Well, there have been a lot of rumors that Canon is going to anounce a replacement for the 20d at the PMA show this month. I'm not going to dive into speculation on what the replacement (if it exists) MIGHT have. But, since you're this close it might be worth waiting a couple more weeks to find out. Yes you may still end up getting the 20d. But you will have only lost a couple weeks of shooting opportunities. If no new model is announced then jump on the 20d then. If one is announced you can decide if it's worth the price increase over the 20d.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2006, 7:28 PM   #7

Another possibility is that a 20D replacement will be about the same in price and that there will be a price reduction on the 20D. It has been 18 months since the 20D was announced and that is the "normal" period for an upgrade to come along.

PMA starts in 12 days, and often announcements will be made before the start of the show. Watch Steve's main page for news.
JohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:31 PM   #8

I found a deal and i could not wait anymore

Circuit City has them online for 1349 with the 18-55 mm lens.

I was able to talk Best Buy to take their price because Circuit City was out at their store.

I went a little cheap on my first lens I got the 75-300 EF so I could learn the camera.

I hope you guys are right and this camera is all you say it is. I am sure it is more camera than I will ever be able to learn but as long as it gets me good pictures on the court I am sure it will blow me away outside.

Now i will need help getting it all set up.:-)

Thanks Group!!!!
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 9:45 PM   #9

hello, I just heard from a salesman that they 20D will not be made any more. Is this true? Will there still be stocks available for this camera after PMA do you reckon?
wisely_foolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 10:32 PM   #10

wisely_foolish wrote:
Quote:
hello, I just heard from a salesman that they 20D will not be made any more. Is this true? Will there still be stocks available for this camera after PMA do you reckon?

Ther is still no official word from canon yet - and retailers in the states at least still all seem to have stock. I can't speculate on what availablility is like in Australia, but even if the 20d is discontinued there will still be stock available for several months. In another 9 or 10 days you'll have your answer.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote