Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 15, 2006, 1:19 PM   #1

Ijumped off the end and finally bought it. Now I need help with the set up. Anyone have any preferred place for the settings after using theirs for awhile. I will primarily shoot sports and at this time of the year they will be indoors.

One setting that sticks out at me is the processing Parameters. Do I set it on 1 or 2? What do you use? All other help would be great.

I bought the kit 18-55 mm lens and a EF 75-300 to get me started until I learn the camera better.

Any advice would be well appreciated.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:05 PM   #2
djb

I use parameter 2 so I do all the processing and not the camera. Center weighted average metering as it seems to give me the most accurate exposure for what I do. AI Servo for tracking moving targets. 99.99999999% of the time I use the center AF point due to my needs for tracking moving targets. Using all 9 AF points doesn't seem to help or for some reason doesn't work on my camera. I will use another single AF point depending on the scene. I shoot exclusively in continuous mode except when shooting family pictures and stuff like that. EC is generally set at +2/3 but that changes from scene to scene due to back lighting or backgrounds. Power swith is always up on the top line so I can use the wheel for stuff that otherwise I couldn't. Hope that helps. Oh, I do 99% naturemacro photography and 1% other stuff.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2006, 3:19 PM   #3

I will use these to get me started. I noticed the exposure indication does not seem to move but every now and again the aperture or speed indication will blink telling me I am out of range??? Should the exposure indication move???
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:34 PM   #4
djb

Depends on what mode you are using. I typically use Av mode. Sometimes Tv mode and Manual mode for macros. I'm not sure what Auto and Program modes do.

dennis
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:41 PM   #5

I noticed this when in Tv mode. What modes does it work in?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 4:44 PM   #6
djb

Yeah, in Tv mode the shutter speed stays constant but the aperature will change. If the aperature blinks it means it's out of range. Then change your shutter speed accordingly.

dennis
Old Feb 15, 2006, 6:48 PM   #7

What about the exposure meter on the bottom of the screen?

It does not change as I change the speed?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 7:16 PM   #8
djb

When changing shutter speed are you using the top dial?? if you are using the dial on the back and your power switch is in the ON position you won't see anything change. If you are using the top dial and you're either in the ON or LINE (top position) you should see the shutter speed change on both the lcd panel on top and in the viewfinder. And as you said, you are in Tv mode?

dennis
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:36 PM   #9

I see the shuter speed change but not the exposure meter.

I guess it does not change except in manual mode?
Old Feb 15, 2006, 10:44 PM   #10

The power switch has two "on" positions. The first click is on, but you will not be able to use the dial on the back of the camera which in this instance controls exposure compensation. It is sort of a safey mechanism so you don't end up changing settings with your nose. The second click lets you use that dial. So you are apparently not pushing the on button all the way up and when you try to change a setting with the dial, nothing happens. Flip it all the way up and then you will have full control and you will be able to dial in some exposure compensation.

H
bigboyhf is offline   Reply With Quote