Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 17, 2006, 1:32 AM   #1

I just got my 20D and I have always used the light meter to help me get a good exposure on my pictures. Mainly because I was in low light and working beyond the capabilities of the camera. Is there one on the 20 D or if you get out of bounds is the only indication is the flashing of the SS/Ap on the display? I understand that the exposure meter or scale works on manual mode to help you keep in line but I have not seen anything to help me in other modes or does the camera just take care of it for me? Where does everyone set there exposure compensation one this camera when shooting in the low light gyms. I know it is different for each gym I just want a few ideas.

Any tutorial for the 20D that you know of would be great as I am learning the DSLR from almost scratch. My last camera was the Panasonic FZ20. It was a real good camera but time to move up.
RP33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2006, 7:21 AM   #2

This page might help, it is based on the 20D...top camera!

http://www.all-things-photography.com/digital-slr.html

In low light, try shooting in RAW, up the ISO and under expose (decrease exposure compensation) by a couple of stops to give you 2 stops faster shutter speed. Then in Photoshop, adjust the exposure back up by 2 stops....never know...might work!

Cheers,

Nick
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 2:40 PM   #3

Every SLR has a light meter build into it (unless I am missing something here). How accurate it is depends.

In low light, you need fast glass, atleast with f2.8 or faster. Also crank up that ISO. Shooting 20D shouldn't be that different from your FZ20. I have FZ1 and FZ5 along with my 10D.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2006, 2:41 PM   #4

BTW - Use Av mode, wide open, center focus point. Try to shoot RAW if possible. There are free RAW converters like Raw Shooters Essential. I use C1LE.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote