Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2006, 11:34 AM   #1

I have a 20D and my friend has a Rebel. I have a link that has the2 photos taken at the same time with both cameras set to full auto. It seems as his Rebel produces a brighter flash and thus better pics in low light condiitons. Is this a known issuse and is there any thing I can do about it?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hunterd...7594066279603/

hunterdorroh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:32 PM   #2

I'll give you my rebel xt for your 20D......lol, joke aside I think there similar, I hardly use AUTO mode on my xt, I use P ,Tv and Av most of the time, are you using the same lens ? .......
ht770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 12:57 PM   #3

I'm going to assume they weren't taken at EXACTLY the same time as both flashes firing at once could cause unexpected results.

But, is your friend's Rebel a 300 (original drebel)or 350? The original 300d uses ETTL metering and the 350 and 20d use ETTL-II metering. ETTL metering meters the flash with a heavy bias towards the active focus point(s). The ETTL II metering defaults to more of an evaluative metering. I had a 300d and when I upgraded to a 20d my flash pictures started to come out MUCH better - much more consistant performance. With the 300d I had to use Flash exposure Lock (FEL) to force the camera to meter off something close to neutral gray rather than what I was focusing on.

The other question is: did either camera have any flash esposure compensation set? That could also account for the issue. In general, with a Canon DSLR, some positive FEC is usually necessary. The algorithms Canon uses try very hard to protect highlights. So many people I've spoken with use a +2/3 FEC on many of their flash shots.

I will also say that if you do a lot of flash work it is extremely worthwhile to invest in an external flash - Canon 580ex, 550ex, 430ex or Sigma 500 DG super are all fantastic flashes and you'll see a 200% improvement in your flash shots when you use one.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2006, 2:30 PM   #4

I took the pictures uses the exact same lens. Also they were not taken at the exact same time, I would say within one minute or so of each other. No flash esposure compensation set was set, that is why I was using full auto mode. It just seems that many of my flash picutres come out much darker than my friends Rebel so I was trying to play around and see what the difference was. Any advice is appreciated.
hunterdorroh is offline   Reply With Quote