Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Feb 18, 2006, 5:08 PM   #1

What camera bag is best? At this time I'll have the camera and lens 18-55mm, 35-80mm, 80 - 200mm and a table top tripod in the bag. (This camera is so new to me that I haven't taken a picture yet. Moved up from the Rebel EOS print camera)

The reviews on the Tamrac 606 ($$ yikes) said for my camera model it's a tight fit. Same with Lowepro Compact AW and Elite AW.

I'm a novice photographer. I like the idea of having a padded bag for camera safety. Looking for quality and function at a reasonable price.

Any suggestions?

(p.s. Found this sight while shopping for a bag. Love the tips I've found)
Click_happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2006, 1:15 AM   #2

I bought a canon backpack. I've had several small bags in the past and this is my first backpack. I love it.I can fit about four lenses and my 350D with a lens on it and lots of room for accessories. Still have room. Easy to carry.
picturethis62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2006, 6:52 PM   #3

I have a 20D with the 70-200mm USM lens and the kit lens. I purchased the Naneu Pro 110 Backpack from a local shop for $84.99. It is well made and very well padded.The link is below.

http://www.naneupro.com/

Good Luck!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 9:19 AM   #4

I too have the Canon 200EG backpack. Bought it from Amazon.com for about $36 including shipping. Excellent bag and very roomy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...Fencoding=UTF8

I guess amazon took away the free shipping...but it's still $36. The above link also has a few photos of the back inside and out.
AlpineMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 10:33 AM   #5

I have the Lowepro Slingshot 200. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it should fit your gear. At the moment, I've got the 350D with grip and 200mm f/2.8 lens in it, with four empty spots for additional lenses. Actually, you might consider its little brother, the Lowepro Slingshot 100.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 11:43 AM   #6

Click_Happy,

What I would strongly suggest is visiting a camera store (not best buy but a camera store with a good supply of bags) and see what STYLE of bag you prefer:

Traditional top-loader shoulder bag

Sling style

Backpack

Everyone's different, and all of the above styles have their plus' and minus.

Having said that, I myself have two bags: A lowepro mini-trekker AWbackpack which can fit an amazing amount of gear, has ability to attach a tripod, has an attached rain cover and is still sized just at the limit of carry-on for airlines. That's what my gear is mostly stored in. I also have a Tamrac Velocity 7 sling-style bag which has room for the camera body + not-too-terribly-long lens and 2 other lenses or flashes. It's not a huge bag, but it's much nicer when I just want a lighter bag and the sling style is great for easy access yet it swings around so it's carried on your back.

I will say both Lowepro and Tamrac make outstanding quality bags - unfortunately the price comes with it :sad:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 7:00 PM   #7

I use a pelican hard case. Crush proof, water proof, dust proof.
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:32 PM   #8
NHL

[email protected] wrote:
Quote:
I use a pelican hard case. Crush proof, water proof, dust proof.
I have the 'softer' version of Terry's case: http://www.caseclub.com/pelican-pcs155.htm

-> you can put it over your shoulder, wear it around your belt, expand it out sideways, and it fits neatly into a crush proof, water proof, and dust proof case that actually floats on water! :lol: :-) :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2006, 8:55 PM   #9

Just a further tip expanding on what JohnG said. If you decide on a backpack try it on. I am a big guy tall and round so some of them exrend to a length to be comfortable and some not. John's advice is wise!

Happy hunting!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote